Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am changing my convertible top frame, for my 66 Chevelle, from a manual to power lifting mechanism, and I purchased an entire power top assembly, which I need to restore. I was told that I can't use the power cylinders with the manual frame due to linkage differences.
My original top frame mechanism was an off-white color (bone or parchment), and was pretty beat up, but there are no indications of ever being a different color. Everyone I have talked to has only seen black frames.
Has anyone here ever seen a white convertible top frame (as the original color).
I will probably paint the new setup white also, since my interior is a custom blend of factory White and Blue (no black carpeting etc.) Just curious.

[This message has been edited by 1966_L78 (edited 02-12-2001).]

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
The 65 I'm working on had kind of a tan colour for the top frame. I have seen this a few times.

The black is what everyone re-paints the other colours to so that it matches with the top material.

Peter

·
Registered
97 Posts
The frame on my 67 is black, so I can't help ya there, buy maybe you can help me and others.

What the heck is the real difference between a power assisted folding frame and a manual frame?????? I've heard this nasty rumor before, that they were different. I understand replacing the springs with cylinders & maybe a small bracket here or there, but what else? I am extremely curious/anxious to know. I would never have guessed that they would be different.

You might be able to tell that I am also wanting to convert my manual top to power.

Thanks,

------------------
Phil Wise
67 SS Convertible
(now on the down slope of the resto curve)
ACES # 834, TC # 231
Photos of a work in progress

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
Try a search on it, Ive related my experiences with the power vs manual top frames in a couple earlier posts.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
55 chevy prostreet
69/71 camaros
61 impala bubbletop
TC member #493

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Back in the 60's, convertible top material, called sport topping, was available in black on black, black on tan, white on black, white on tan, tan on black and tan on tan, the second color being the backing side . If your car had, say a white on tan top, since the tan would be showing on the inside of the car, the frame was painted to match. It was actually a rather light tan, and over the years may have faded to look off-white.
On the frame question, I have a '69 malibu w/manual top, and I was also interested when I saw some posts mentioning a different frame for power operated tops, so I contacted two companies that sell only convert. top resto parts. They both said they knew that Camaro frames were different, but neither knew for sure about A-bodies. One mentioned that it would need the additional arms above the side rails to enable the frame to extend when being raised. Mine has them and looks no different from any other A-body frame I've ever worked on (probably every one power), so I still don't know for sure. When I get a positive answer, I'll post here.
Rich

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.