Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That right gents you heard right I have mostly finished the covans classic aftermarket gauge set up. Now I must say first that my stock sweep gauge was messed up beyond repair when I got the car. So I saved all my dollars and bought the gauge set up without gauges because I wanted the Z-series. So after many hours of cutting the original gauge cluster with a dremel I just need to bolt it up, and may I say that it looks great, the wiring was actually the easy part, and clean. For the wiring we used a single cluster with like 20 pairs of power and grounds, and after spending a hour labling em we just saudered and tried it out. Everything works except the speedo which hasn't worked since the Automatic tranny left for the muncie. As you will see in the pictures the air hole on the driver side has been coverted to the car's lighting control, because I will be doing only heating and defrosting in the car via "Vintage Air" so the driver (Me) will have the heat come at the feet instead. Below is a link to all the pic's of the project on my buddy Adman's site Livermore Muscle, just click on the covan's classic gauges link. Just check it out and let me know what you think, and if you have any questions feel free to ask.
http://www.livermoremuscle.com/pictures.php?Parent=9

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
I see you are in the christmas spirit! :D

I was just looking at this dash again today. I was going to go with another kind but I emailed for some more info and never got a reply, and thats a good way to lose my business.

Is that the final fit & finish? I like the looks of it but there appears to be some fitment issues on the right side of the unit. Other than that, very cool. Does it look like this piece could be painted any way you want? Is that the plain black version?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too have a Covan dash but have not installed it just yet... They have various styles and finishes for your car, just depends on what your looking for. There web site is www.covansclassic.com. Worth checking out if you want something that looks different and very cool.
Webfoot, nice paint on the Chevelle, who did it for you? We are looking for someone who doesn't want to get rich off us working stiffs...

71and a half. Keep up the great wok. Your well on your way....

Scott

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well The Dash fits great I haven't bolted it all up because of the lights, funny thing the light covers that change the color arn't that good like the "red" you see in the picture is actually pink in real life and the green was more of a light green yellow, so I decided to go with it for now, it's real funny when some ricer rolls up to look inside to see pink and light green gauges but eh at least they work. I'm actually looking for replacement color bulbs for em I was going today to radioshack to see if they have em. so ya I guess that is the final fitment I really didn't take pictures of.....well I'll do that right now, there, now I threw it together real quick and took some pic's for ya webfoot. Now you'll see in the one pic, your right, I did have some fitting problems, but when I bolt it up to the pad and to the old gauge undercarrage it will fit like a glove. Ya I got the black finish but I'm thinking of repainting it the same color black as my beat old dash pad that I repainted with that plastic paint, actually works real well.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
One idea for your gauge bulbs, is to order LEDs that push in place of the 194 bulbs.

Here is an example: http://www.midnightmoose.com/194led.htm

I did a google for "194 LED" and got lots of hits, so you can probably look around for ones that cost a little less.

I am sold on this kit, I plan on painting mine the color of my car, hopefully that will look OK.

Thanks for the new pics. That does look much better. Do they have a provision for a cd player cutout or do you have to just throw on a template?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know about the CD player thing but I do know that I"m going to be putting my, top of the line Sony like 10 years ago, CD player in the glovebox, I already checked it out and if I mount it to the top center it will fit with the glovebox closed. This way I don't have to cut the dash and no one who sees my car will know know where the CD player is so they wont know where to look to steal it. Have you guys dealt with the aftermarket kickpanles for the 6.5 speakers, well let me tell you right now that unless you like the stock 6.5 that come with the kickpanles (which suck in my opinion, can't hear over engine and exhaust
) I just don't know if I'm going to be able to get em to fit. You see I"m using the pioneer 4-way 220W 6.5 which are a lot deeper so I'm cutting the walls on the inside of the car to make em work. I don't know if you guys have any better solutions, I know I don't. Thanks for the LED sites I'm deffenetlly doing that, it will be a ton brighter and match the LED turn signals and high beam indicator.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts