Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble figuring out my courtesy light harness. So far I have it wired so each light comes on when each door is opened. On the driver's door switch there is a two prong switch. I attached a white wire from the dash harness as I was told to do for this switch, I assume it is from the light switch which allows you to turn the courtesy lights on via the light switch. This does not happen. Also the courtesy light harness hads two white pig tail wires ( one at each end of the harness) coming off where the harness plugs into the door switch. What are these for? (Dome Light) My car is a convertible, do they just remain open if they are for the dome light? The assembly manual is kind of vague with diagrams for this harness and I could use some guidance. Thanks in advance, piston.

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts
I just did this on my '70. The white wire from the each end of the dash plugs in to the white pigtail at each end of the courtesy light harness, then the other end of the pigtail plugs on to the door switch. On the drivers door switch, the second prong is for the key warning buzzer which buzzes when you open the door with the key in the ignition. The key warning buzzer wire is black. Let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
767 Posts
If you have double whites coming off the door switch they could also be for two extra courtesy lights that go under the dash on each side. I found a 71 that had this option and I put it in my 66 which already had the holes there for the lights. Now I have the dome,console and the two lights that luminate the front leg area.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I should of told you guys that my car is a 68. Does one of the prongs on the driver's door jamb switch get connected to a black wire? Currently I have two whites connected to the switch and an open pig tail with a hard blue plastic plug connected to a white pig tail wire that is part of the courtesy harness that is not filled. On the passenger side there is a bullet type door switch that connects to the courtesy harness with a bullet type connecter connected to another white pig tail that is open. What connects to these pig tails? The dash harness is new from M&H are there a couple of wires under the dash that connect to these pig tails that I have not found? If anyone can refer me to a page in chasis service or factory assembly manuals to help clear things up it may also help. Thaanks, pston

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The right side jamb switch has a white wire with a male bullet terminal attached to it, disconnect it, connect the male bullet terminal of the courtesy harness to the jamb switch, connect the original white wire to the pigtail with a female bullet connector.

Do the same on the left side except that the wires have tab or quick disconnect terminals. The left jamb switch has two wires, the black is for the key minder circuit, white is for the courtesy/dome lights.

The orange wire of the courtesy harness connects to the fuse block terminal marked BAT, the wire should have a pigtail to accommodate another connection to the BAT terminal if needed.

Both lights should go on when either door is opened or the headlight switch is rotated fully clockwise.

·
Registered
654 Posts
My 67 convertible has an orange wire attached to the white pigtales for the jamb switches. These lead to the under dash courtesy lights.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a chance to play with it this weekend. The driver's side door switch has a white wire from the courtesy lamp harness and a black wire from the dash harness connected to it. The white pig tail wire from the courtest harness harness has a white wire from the dash harness connected to it. The passenger door jamb switch has a white wire from the courtesy lamp harness connected to it. The white pig tail wire from that door switch has a white wire from the dash harness connected to it. The orange connector plugs into the fuse panel and the orange pig tail is filled in with my convertible power top harness plug. Both lights come on when I open the door and the buzzer goes off when I leave the key in the ignition and open the driver's door. Also both lights can be turned on by turning the key switch counter clockwise until it clicks. It works, thanks guys. Pston.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts