Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay I put a new front lamp wiring harness with the external to internal adapter harness. Then I installed the powermaster 100 amp alternator and it works just fine. Now I was told that I should upgrade the power wire from 10ga to 8ga to handle the electric fan and the new sound system I installed. So I Have a couple of questions.

1. Can I use standard car stereo amplifier 8ga power wire and gold plated connectors?

2. Do I replace the just the wire that goes from the alt to the horn relay or do I replace the whole wire from the alt to the battery or junction box?

My 65 has an electric fan that draws 16 amps and also a 4 channel car stereo amplifer with an mp3 player stereo.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
1. Can I use standard car stereo amplifier 8ga power wire and gold plated connectors?

Any quality stranded copper wire will work. Don’t use solid wire. It doesn’t flex and it subject to fatigue breakage. Protect and support the wire so the insulation doesn’t rub against anything.

2. Do I replace the just the wire that goes from the alt to the horn relay or do I replace the whole wire from the alt to the battery or junction box?

Depends on where you tied the electric fans to. If you tied them to the horn relay you don’t need to change the wire from the junction block/battery to the horn relay. The purpose of this wire, when the car is running, is to charge the battery. If you haven’t added any new connections near the battery, nothing has changed so that wire doesn’t need to change. Yes, on the wire from the alternator to the horn relay.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
“Right now the electric fan is connected to the horn relay.”

Ok there, fan is off unless the car is running. You do have an in-line fuse or a circuit breaker in that line to the fan?

”the car stereo amp is connected to the positive terminal on the battery.
should I connect the amp to the horn relay too or just leave it alone?”

You can leave it there but now that you added something off the battery, the original wire from the horn relay to junction block should go up one size. The line to the stereo fused? May also consider increasing the size of the ground wire to the right inside fender or add a ground strap from the block to the firewall. Tie your stereo ground to the same screw that you attached the new ground strap to the firewall.

As you add items and increase positive wire sizes, negative connections also need to be increased. The block to ground strap to firewall to stereo thought is a fairly inexpensive way of doing it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay all the wiring from the alt to the battery is 10ga. So I should go to a 8ga all around

I have 2 ground straps connecting the engine block to the firewall, then the negitive batt cable is connected to the block. There is also a 10ga wire from a pigtail on the battery cable to the radiator support. that should go to 8ga too.

the fan is connected to a preset relay that has a fuse and is connected to the horn relay and all the wiring for the radio is connected with a fuse to the fuse box except for the amp.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'm a believer that the whole wiring run from the alternator to the battery should always be upgraded to the same size wire. The accessories will draw current from the battery if the car isn't running or if the alternator fails.

Peter

·
Registered
334 Posts
Similar question, and possibly a simpler solution for dcromero. I'm also rewiring for a 105A Alt and was just going to run an 8 Gauge wire from the Alt to the +Bat terminal. My battery cable has an extra 8 gauge lead on it that I was going to connect it to. Can I just do this and leave the 10 Gauge wires from the battery to the terminal block and to the horn relay?

I couldn't find any crimp connectors for 8AWG at Home Depot or the Auto Stores, but thanks to dcromero's question on using audio cables, I'm off to the Audio Stores in the morning.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by 68Elkie:
My battery cable has an extra 8 gauge lead on it that I was going to connect it to. Can I just do this and leave the 10 Gauge wires from the battery to the terminal block and to the horn relay?
I too have the same thing but i decided to upgrade to a 8 ga from the junction box to battery also and ditch the 10ga all together.

thanks everyone for your help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts