Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I own a 68 malibu...trying to resolve some front suspension/steering problems and converting over to a grand cherokee stewering box. I have found tons of useful info and beleive I have all needed components to do the swap...just a few questions

I am trying to remove my old box with the pitman arm attached to it, where the pitman arm attaches to the center link(after removing the cotter key)when I try to turn off the castcle nut, the center link stud just spins with it how can I keep this from happening?

Also, I think my center link may be installed backwards, it seems to sit very close to the transmission crossmember. It even looks like the grease fitting where the tie rod joins the centerlink has been broken off by the cross member. Any clues to help me determine if the centerlink is backwards...it seems the centerlink has a slight curve to it, does the curve point towards the rear of the car?

Any and all help is really appreciated

Cory Thompson

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Jam a pickel fork between the pitman arm and the joint. that should stop it from turning but will more than likely ruin the rubber dust cap.

·
Premium Member
842 Posts
Also, I think my center link may be installed backwards, it seems to sit very close to the transmission crossmember. It even looks like the grease fitting where the tie rod joins the centerlink has been broken off by the cross member. Any clues to help me determine if the centerlink is backwards...it seems the centerlink has a slight curve to it, does the curve point towards the rear of the car?

Any and all help is really appreciated

Cory Thompson
I don't think your transmission crossmember is the problem. It's the frame and skid plate under the front of the motor. I don't think you would be able to drive with the center link backwards if it was even possible to install it backwards. Your center link may need to be replaced.

·
Registered
498 Posts
The fact that the tie rod end turns makes me suspect it has been run loose tot he tapered hole in the arm may be worn? Try tightening the nut, it should then stick in the taper. If the taper will not stick its worn out

1 - 4 of 4 Posts