Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

· Registered
7,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
supersport396_2000 said:
Real, i would think so, I do believe z-16's only came with 4spds, but it could have been changed at sometime.

The vin looks good to me, Kansas city.
it still has the manual pedal set up in it

· Registered
197 Posts
Very interesting! Looks like the real thing, I'm not familiar with the vin sequence on the Z16 cars but that would be the way to know for sure. If you look it has manual pedals in it. curious to see what it goes for as just a rusty shell, at least it has a few of the Z16 specific parts. Looks like it's sitting at a restoration shop, I would think you could maximize profit on this car by restoring it.
Anyone notice the 2 door wagon in the background?

· Registered
4,460 Posts
Anyone near Huntington Beach CA? It should have been built in K.C. and have a convertible frame.

If it doesnt say "4FM" on the trim tag its not a KC built Z16.

· Registered
7,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
supersport396_2000 said:
Id doesnt look like it..i only see two pedals, it that the brake beside the steering wheel? I thought that was the gas pedal.
but the brake pedal is small like the ones on the manuals, and not big like on autos. mabey someone cut the clutch pedal of, or pulled the swing pin and did it right.

· Banned
7,878 Posts
The 160mph speedo is a good clue that it could be real. I did`nt see a dash clock but it could have been removed. To the best of my knowledge, the Z16`s were the only ones to get the 160 speedo. Also, there is a clutch pedal still and if you look close at the pic of the deck lid, it had weird trim holes. Could be fore the Z16 rear trim.

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Pay no attention to the automatic console laying between the front buckets - that console is from another car. There are only two pedals left in that car: maybe one is the clutch pedal or the park brake pedal, and the other the brake pedal - the accelerator pedal dropped out onto the highway along with the rest of the floor!

Judging by the background in those pics I think the car is at D&P Classic Chevy in Huntington Beach. The restoration of that car is beyond my means, but that is the right shop to pull it off.

It will be very interesting to see where the bidding ends - or if the reserve gets met.

Thomas

· Registered
7,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bomber 67' do you know the shop it is at. or have you looked at the car in person?

· Registered
693 Posts
If it is in fact a real-deal Z-16, then wouldn't the seller want to maximize his sales effort, and at least take some decent pictures? There is alot of missing info, like is the original rearend there, if so it should have the extra bracing, cowl tag info, remote mirror, dash top clock, original emblems (are the holes there? cant see enough in the pics). Seems like it might be real, but why leave so much doubt about it. If this is a classic car resto shop, you think they would know to advertise better.

· Banned
7,878 Posts
After doing a little reasearch and closer inspection of the pics on ebay, I say it`s a FAKE FAKE FAKE. Here is why, first, look closely at the side pic. You can just barely see where the "malibu" trim holes are and even a fade line. Second, it has holes drilled for the "C" molding around the tail lights. The Z16 did`nt have this molding or even a upper molding so there should be no holes. These 2 facts alone convinced me that it`s not a Z16. I can`t explain the 160 speedo but it`s possible to have found one somewhere. You can go to www.z16chevelle.com and look at some pics to compair. I`m going to email the guy to get the trim coldes to check the original color inside and out. then we`ll be closer to solving it.

· Registered
467 Posts
"But the important things
that count are on the car. The VIN and Cowl Tag are still there. The 160 mph
speedo still in the dash. The AM-FM multiplex speaker holes still in the kick
panels. The Big Block motor mounts still in place. The rear mouldings on the
trunk deck with the "396 Block" that sits above the molding is there. Plus a
couple more important parts. The trunk deck is still there"

okay, this guy's idea of what is important and mine vary quite a bit. what made this car a Z16 vs. a regular SS chevelle? well, pretty much the engine. which is GONE, GONE, GONE. very well may be legit though. what's the upper end in terms of $ though on a non-matching Z16 car w/o docs?
as a side note, was am/fm offered in '65? i was thinking '66 was the first year.

· Registered
4,460 Posts
AM/FM Multiplex was standard on Z-16 cars.

The rear end and the big front brakes would be the hard pieces to fake.

· Registered
467 Posts
i agree, i imagine it's legit. but condition and lack of engine/trans is really going to hurt it. i think someone would be a nut to go over $10K. we'll see....

if it's an intact car, matching #s but in this condition, what would it bring? $50k? more?

· Registered
197 Posts
According to Z16Chevelle.com recent sales for restored cars are between 270,000 and 350,000 dollars. They also list a car in need of complete restoration selling recently for $120,000.000.
If this car is real(I'm by no means an expert) you could pay $75,000 for it and put another $75,000 into restoration and still come out a big winner. I'm sure the guys in the market for this car will know if it's genuine, I suspect we may see $100,000.00 if it is. Fun to watch at the very least.

· Banned
7,878 Posts
I emailed the guy asking for the trim codes but haven`t heard back but I still think it`s a fake. The trim holes are not correct on the deck lid and you can see the "malibu" trim holes for the strip down the center of the body. The bigger brakes could have been taken off of a big car and who knows, maybe the guy can`t read a tape measure. Plus it`s listed as having blue interier. It could have been changed over time but anyone into chevelles knows the value of Z16`s so why mess with the original stuff?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.