Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 with buckets. I bought a PUI interior kit from Year One, and new seat buns from Ted Williams. I covered one seat and it looks perfect. I’m working on the seat back of the other seat and am having real problems. The cover is installed and hog ringed in all the right places, but will not pull over the lower right corner of the seat spring (down near the hinge for the seat back). The cover is short by almost 2". I’ve tried just about everything, and now have a nice 1/2" hole at that seam. Is it possible that the cover is defective and sewn too short on one side? Anybody ever run into this? My wife says I should’ve had a pro do it, so now I’m on a real mission.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
527 Posts
Try heating the cover with a heat gun and see if you can get that 2". Or remove it throw it in the drier and try again, start at a different corner.GOOD LUCK !

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I have also heard that some spray silicone on the seats buns will make bucket seats slide on easier.

Another trick is to cover the seat buns with a plastic garbage bag, and pull the seat on. After they are on, rip the plastic out.

It does make a difference when the covers are warm enuff to stretch.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu
[email protected]
www.wright.edu/~s001dga/chevy.htm

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Hey Paul if you haven't done so already do as DG said and take them off and heat em up. If you are somewhere sunny put them out in the sun a couple hours and let em' warm up. However if you are in a rainy or snowy area try turning the covers inside out put them in a pillow case and throw em' in the dryer for a cycle and they'll be more easily maneuvered(sp?). I suggest taking off the stubborn ones and try the sun/dryer thing get em' warmed up and have at it again. Use a heat gun or hair dryer to get out the little wrinkles.(as needed)

Stopid me!RDR(read the d*** responses I see I basically extenisified(if that's a word!) 1bad67's post)
------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd

[This message has been edited by Steve D 64 SS (edited 04-06-99).]

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Paul,
If your questioning the size of the cover, take a tape measure and see if it is the same size as the first seat back cover you installed.
If this measurement is close, then remove the cover. Get the seat rip repaired at a upholstery shop before you go any further (this should be really inexpensive). Then, use a little heat (or the good old sun). Try reinstalling the cover a little farther down from the top than you had it first. You'll be able to tell where you had first hog ringed it down. This should work.
I have installed lots of PUI interior kits and haven't had any problems with them at all.
Hope this helps. Good Luck!
Dot

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.