Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,332 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Maybe it's just me but do you feel these cars should be worth that kind of money? New they were around $4500 whats the deal with these crazy amounts. I could understand with major upgrades, naaaaa I still don't understand.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I don't think it's the same car either, besides the differences that Danny listed I noticed the BJ car doesnot have a snog pump, the e-bay car does. Another thing I noticed in both cars is a rear sway-bar, as I remember those bars were part of the F41 option.....not offered in '68.

·
Premium Member
2,707 Posts
That looks like the same car in all the B-J links. All have "Red 766" on the firewall. Sold for 59,400 without smog pump.....then 63,000 without smog pump....then for 93,500 WITH smog pump. Wow, that pump was worth it!

·
Premium Member
15,332 Posts
Yeah but the one that was at Scottsdale did not have the lower black paint. Wheels were different. Also the car was for sale in OR for $200k before B-J and I really don't see the dealer letting it go for less than half the asking price. I suspect it was a buy-back even though B-J says it don't happen. Too bad B-J doesn't list VINs. Lastly It might not be the car in the earlier B-J links I had either as the under side of the hood is not red on the Ebay car. It sure would be a strange coincidence that there are 3 different red L89 68s out there when supposedly only 5 or so existed...... Very intriguing :D

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
yeah, one of them (the OR car) had silver painted on the lower fender. Could of been painted.

There is a vin listed in one of the pics. I'll have to research back to see if I have the vin when it was listed on the OR site.

Also. listed listed 1 of 8 built. Where do they get this stuff. There is no known data for L89 cars. I have info on at least two cars in the last 20 years.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
Another thing I noticed in both cars is a rear sway-bar, as I remember those bars were part of the F41 option.....not offered in '68.
Well, neither was the L-89 option (supposedly, although some will argue the point). :) Is that J109 casting date on the head? (Pic#33) That's October 10, 1969. :confused: They didn't get the alternator brace on correctly either. That drives me :wacko:

BillL

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
This outfit has been selling to many Bentley's and Lamborghini's. He probably doesn't have a clue what this car is worth. Also, he probably doesn't know all the things that are wrong with this Chevelle. My comp is slow today, but I didn't see anything about paperwork. What numb skull would spend $140,000.00 on a "L-89" with no paper? If the restorer couldn't even get the right steering wheel in the car, what other corners were cut. Where's the chrome behind the arm rests. The console lid is from a newer car, a rear sway bar never happened in 68, among the other things already mentioned. No trim tag or vin tag pics, and as far as I know, no one has ever seen a documented 68 L-89. Now in this thread, there are at least two red verts??? I wanna meet the guy who writes the check for this car.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Two things are noteworthy here. First, the deck stamp is suspicious. I am not going to discuss why, as I do not wish to help anyone 'listening in." Second, if this truely was an L89 car, it would have to be a different suffix code, as an EG code is an iron head motor. If there ever was a true 68 Aluminum head car, where are the codes for this motor? As far as I know, no such codes exist, and most of these so-called originals seem to be EG codes. I have heard about such cars, but so far, not one stitch of paperwork or real parts to support it. Untill then, I have to add my name to the list of people who doubt they were ever made.
Jeff Dotterer
Dated Components
Diamond Restored Judge

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well, neither was the L-89 option (supposedly, although some will argue the point). :) Is that J109 casting date on the head? (Pic#33) That's October 10, 1969. :confused: They didn't get the alternator brace on correctly either. That drives me :wacko:

BillL
J109 cast date is in the rear end, I believe.
SO that is the wrong rear end.
This is not the same car that was in BJ, unless they changed a few things, like the black paint under the moldings.
Wrong mirrors, wrong console lid, engine stamp looks hokey, wheel well moldings do not belong, no armrest plate, sort of looks like the GM sticker on the inside of the door which does not belong to a 68, wrong steering wheel-horn cap.

Also, I may be wrong, but why would any real 375HP 4 speed car not have a factory tachometer? The one at BJ was the same, no factory tach.

In my post:
http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166050
I discuss the rear moldings that go at an angle to the crease in the rear 1/4 panel.
It is hard to tell, but the same moldings on this car do not appear to have the same angle as my car does.

If I ever finish my 68 vert, I am going to haveta set up a bunch of those fancy movie star spot lights with the curtians in my garage:)

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
I believe I've seen that car before but with Rally Wheels.

It says that it is a number-matching 396-375 block. It also says that it has factory L-89 aluminum heads. What it does not say is that the aluminum heads are original to the car. To me it may be a factory L78 onto which a set of early aluminum heads have been added. I am open to the idea that a few L89 Chevelles were factory built for '68, but I don't think that the seller is actually saying that this car rolled out of the factory as an L89. Implying, yes. Very, very nice car regardless. Certainly not perfect (for that money you should expect perfect).

I remember many years ago on Team Chevelle there was a discussion as to whether the world was ready for a $100,000 Chevelle. Funny, the car in question was a low mileage Fathom Green '69 L89-powered SS396 convertible with white interior & top, plus an M22. After seeing the money that Ray Allen's LS6 convertible brought I guess anything is possible :(

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
I think it's the same car as the one that was just at Barrett-Jackson this year just detailed more and some things were changed. It still has an Oregon license plate on it in the Long Island Bentley pics.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I remember many years ago on Team Chevelle there was a discussion as to whether the world was ready for a $100,000 Chevelle. Funny, the car in question was a low mileage Fathom Green '69 L89-powered SS396 convertible with white interior & top, plus an M22. After seeing the money that Ray Allen's LS6 convertible brought I guess anything is possible :(
Funny thing about this hobby is for as long as I can remember, people with fistfulls of cash have been crossing these lines before us "enthusiests" were ready for it. This $100,000 line was crossed in the late 80's, before many of us even dreamed about these infernal things we are typing on. I can even tell you the car, it was a triple Black LS6 Convertible. At the time, everyone thought it was nuts, but it was a nice car. Still, hindsight always being 20:20, guy actually got a fair deal. You see we don't really control the hobby, it controls us. The prices we consider fair deals today were crazy to all of us in this thing just a few years ago. I guess after watching the thing happen for many years now I have become somewhat immune to crazy prices paid by people who have no knowledge of the subject. This 68 is no different. Someone will buy it on the hype, and thats all there is.
Jeff Dotterer
Dated Components
Diamond Restored Judge

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.