Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to ship a console from Winnepeg,Canada to Wheeling,WV. 26003 ?? A person has a console in Canada and said the shipping to Wheeling,WV. would be $58.65 truck freight, THAT IS RIDICULOUS!!! Hasnt he ever heard of UPS GROUND? The console cant weigh that much at all, so theres no reason that he could not ship it UPS GROUND , isnt this correct?? Any help on this would greatly be appreciated. I emailed the guy just a while ago telling him this. Havent heard anything yet. Sounds to me like he wants to pocket more money for himself by charging more for shipping and then using a cheaper way. Thanks,Mark

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I just did a quick calc for only 15 pounds from Winnepeg to you via UPS Ground. It came to $98.31 Canadian and that was for NORMAL shipping -- not UPS Oversize! (Year One says that a console would have to go Oversize -- because of size, not weight.)

So, I think I estimated low -- and came out above what he is asking for truck freight. So, it probably is in the ballpark as reasonable, at least. Sorry... :(

- John...

·
Registered
451 Posts
Sounds about right to me for shipping, but beware I got mine a couple of years ago and it was sent UPS and when I got it a big hunk was busted off. Took a while for UPS to cover the cost of the console back to me. I like US mail a lot more.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I agree, that is a fairly reasonable rate from Canada. Not too far out across US either denending on the size of the package.
The size of the box affects shipping costs MUCH more than weight.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Yes, I'd have to agree with RC70 on that. I just did the same figures with FedEx Ground and came out with about $51.74 Canadian -- including the oversize charge.

Now, granted, I had to guess on weight and such -- but that seems like even if I'm off by a bit, it is still going to beat the price that you were given for freight...

Ask him if he can go FedEx...

- John...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys, for all of your help on this subject. I will tell him about FedEx. I spelled it wrong, it is Winterpeg,Canada instead of Winnepeg.I just wonder if I would be further ahead in the long run to just buy a reproduction console from NPD (National Parts Depot) , and save all the hassle? If I go the NPD route, anything over $300.00 is free shipping and the console is $295.00 there anyway so I spend another $6.00 easy and I'll get free shipping. Have any of you guys purchased a reproduction console? and from where? Can you tell any difference between the repro. and an original? I talked with NPD on the phone about the repro.console and they said that they have a note on it that the top plate has poor quality , that the people who reproduced it could have done a nicer job on it. I also talked with Ausley's and they pretty much said the same but also added that I would have to do some tweeking on the repro. Things like holes not lining up exactly on the console door, would have to re-drill the holes which is easy enough. I just dont know which to get. I think if I can find an original on Ebay for a resonable price Ill go that route. But if bidding gets out of hand , I may go for the Repro. If I do go for the repro. I'LL be sure to post the quailty of it and where I purchase it for you guys. Thanks Again Guys, Mark

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Guys, for all of your help on this subject. I will tell him about FedEx. I spelled it wrong, it is Winterpeg,Canada instead of Winnepeg.I just wonder if I would be further ahead in the long run to just buy a reproduction console from NPD (National Parts Depot) , and save all the hassle? If I go the NPD route, anything over $300.00 is free shipping and the console is $295.00 there anyway so I spend another $6.00 easy and I'll get free shipping. Have any of you guys purchased a reproduction console? and from where? Can you tell any difference between the repro. and an original? I talked with NPD on the phone about the repro.console and they said that they have a note on it that the top plate has poor quality , that the people who reproduced it could have done a nicer job on it. I also talked with Ausley's and they pretty much said the same but also added that I would have to do some tweeking on the repro. Things like holes not lining up exactly on the console door, would have to re-drill the holes which is easy enough. I just dont know which to get. I think if I can find an original on Ebay for a resonable price Ill go that route. But if bidding gets out of hand , I may go for the Repro. If I do go for the repro. I'LL be sure to post the quailty of it and where I purchase it for you guys. Thanks Again Guys, Mark

·
Premium Member
1,658 Posts
Yes I received gravel (72 SS dash) that shipped from NY to PA. UPS did however owe up to the $500.00 insurance claim.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT PACKAGED CORRECTLY PRIOR TO SHIPPING!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Guys, for replying back with all your info. on this topic. I liked the part about not shipping a rock UPS,LOL Thanks, MarK -----------------------------------------1968 Chevelle Malibu (Weekend Cruiser) 1969 Chevelle Malibu (Daliy Driver)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts