Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yes, the money from selling my convertible IS burning a hole in my pocket...

Found a '68 Corvette Coupe...

Blue (not sure if its "original" shade, but close to "Marina Blue" (Lemans Blue in '68?)... My favorite color too! L88 hood (the only car I think looks right with one)... Black interior. Most everything works except the clock and wipers. T-tops (not really into a roadster anyway)... Power windows/steering/brakes.

427 4-speed... Woo-Hoo!!! Not the original engine, but supposedly an original 427/390HP/4-speed car, and supposedly the correct casting for '68 390HP. 3.36 posi... Tach-drive HEI, aluminum radiator, Ralleys and regular exhaust (not sidepipes)... headers, etc

I'd love a 63-67, but those are out of my price range unless I sell my other Chevelles. 1968 is my next favorite bodystyle...

Guy says its a nice driver with a few chips... Only real issue is a large cam (could use a vacuum canister) Gonna go look tomorrow...

Even the wife thinks I should get a Vette...

Guy is asking $19.5K (said "Firm" in an ad, but a later email said "we could discuss the price"... that still leaves me a decent amount to work on my '66 hardtop Chevelle...

Anyone know about Corvettes? I talked to a few guys, and they said its a reasonable price (they said to offer around $17K)... Opinions?

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
I can try to help you out. I've had my 67 for a long time, then someone offered me more then I deserved for it. I think the 68 is a nice car. A few comments..

Better know fiberglass
There is a great corvette forum (some folks on here are on the corvette forum too.. ) http://www.corvetteforum.com/
Check for rear bearing wear as trailing arms, bushings and bearings can be expensive
Get ready for sticker shock as most parts are hard to get or just plain expensive. (about 3-5 times as much as a Chevelle)
Check for water leaks
What Muncie ? M22 or M21?
Is it posi?
427 in that car will fly! A lot less weight!
I would say between 15K and 20K sounds about right.
Some pics would be nice.

Feel free to ask me anything. I have a lot of reference stuff also.

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
That blue on the '68 Corvetes is simply known as Corvette Blue. I have a really neat road test of 2 '68 Corvettes from the June '68 Car Life magazine. They tested a Corvette Blue 327 coupe and a Corvette Bronze L89 roadster. Of the roadster they said 'who needs LSD with something like this to get high on?' It's a really neat test. Maybe if you ask nicely I can scan the whole article and send it along.

·
Premium Member
3,695 Posts
The 68 Corvette has a lot of 68 only components.

To name a few. It was the only C3 that had the ignition switch on the dash. Tail and backup lights were 68 specific. The 68 was the only C3 with a push button door lock that opens the door. The interior door panels were 68 only.

Replacing any missing parts could be expensive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts