Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

· Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 69 SS in 1972 with $1800 leftover college money. The car was built in Atlanta and has always resided in NC and SC. It was a bench seat 3 on the floor. I was the second owner. It's first 3 years were pretty rough but she has had good care since. I drove it from 72 to about 1980 then put it in storage in my dad's 6 car garage. It stayed there 23 years until my son and I pulled it to SC in in 2003 and replaced the 396 with a 454 crate motor and Richmond Super T10 4 speed.

My son drove it during High School and didn't put a scratch on it that I could tell. In 2007 we again stored it at my dad's house in NC.

I retired in 2017 and decided it was time to fix up the Chevelle. It is a survivor and I probably should have restored it, I still had the original engine and tranny. But it is not a rare car and restomodding is more my thing. So I pulled the Chevelle to SC again in February 2020, this time with my 65 Chevy.

I am a Corvette fan and have had a C3, C4, several C5's, a C6 and currently a C7. My favorite Vette ever was my 2008 C6 the best driving car I ever have had. So I had the notion to merge a C6 Corvette into the Chevelle and create a Corvelle. The stance and all exterior will be stock SS Chevelle except wheels and tires of course. The mechanics and electrics would be all C6 as much as reasonably possible.

In June of 2020 I bought a 2005 wrecked C6 Corvette on COPART with 41K miles in running condition. It was in very good condition before I believe it was stolen and wrecked.

It is going to take me a while to catch up to the present......

· Premium Member
1968 Malibu sport coupe, 489 ci. 590 hp 600 tq, RV T-400 Freakshow 3200 stall, 3.73 12 bolt posi
13,207 Posts
A friend used a wrecked 2011 Camaro SS for his 72 Camaro, engine, trans, dash, console, A/C, Sat stereo, seats, door panels, wiring but couldn't get the IRS in the 72 for some reason so left the live axle, what's your plans?

· Registered
1,846 Posts
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive parking light Car

· Registered
3,282 Posts
You arent going to butcher that chevelle with corvette parts are you? Engine/Trans is fine. Please dont try to put it on a vette frame with the vette dash. Big mistake in my opinion.

· Premium Member
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep Chevy ruined the Chevette name long ago. I wish they hadn't.

Shovelrick. Well that was my original plan until I realized what was involved in using the transaxle and how it would wreck the Chevelle body. So I went with a Ford 9 inch with Floating rear axle with Corvette hubs. I'll post that later.

· Registered
10,812 Posts
You arent going to butcher that chevelle with corvette parts are you? Engine/Trans is fine. Please dont try to put it on a vette frame with the vette dash. Big mistake in my opinion.
The trans is at the rear of the car with a torque tube on a C6

· Registered
10,812 Posts
Yep Alwhite00 - That is not going to happen so the transaxle is out, more conventional rear suspension.
I read this and it sounded like you were going to use everything. You also mentioned how good a C6 handled.

"So I had the notion to merge a C6 Corvette into the Chevelle and create a Corvelle. The stance and all exterior will be stock SS Chevelle except wheelsg and tires of course. The mechanics and electrics would be all C6 as much as reasonably possible."

· Premium Member
25,103 Posts
Too bad,. even with a Cheech Marin overdone accent as in a " CHE-vette" it still can't work.

My brain says VELLE-RAY quikcer than CORVELLE , borrowing from the the stingray past. HECK put a L88 ' ray hood on it!

OK that 's all I can be of assistance in. much o nothing. VERY COOL PROJECT! 👍

THNX for sharing TR65 !

· Premium Member
3,239 Posts
This would have been interesting to follow with the IRS.

This is a subframe I am working on to install C5 differential and suspension in a 66 Corvair. I used the Vette frame rails. Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Grass Wood

I am building a mid-engine. You would have more of a challenge with the front engine/mid transmission configuration.

· Premium Member
25,103 Posts
I'm with TR on that, academically speaking. I'd do a coil over rear before the transaxle I 'd think. Chevelle aint no " monocoque" design. I'd think you'd end up with a some sort of custom frame w/ honeycomb structure you 'd be bolting the old sheet metal to. ??

· Premium Member
16,172 Posts
With all the aftermarket suspension kits available for Chevelles these days I see no need to chop one up to stick a vette chassis underneath. Doesnt make any sense to me.
I'm with Smitty on this. It's your money/your car. But as for me, I had two cars with IRS, and I wasn't impressed at all. A 73 Vette, and an 05 GTO. I liked the LS2 engine in the 05 GTO, (especially after I installed a Magnuson TV1900 supercharger in it), but neither car handled that great. I realize that neither one of those cars were like a C5 Vette but it seems to me that any time you put some real power in front of an IRS, your straight line off the line traction will suffer. My 05 GTO had a tendency for wheel hop too. I was at a 530 HP level with it, which isn't even all that extreme.

The 9 inch Ford rear is a better idea for some good potential for straight line traction.

· Registered
3,282 Posts
I'm with Smitty on this. It's your money/your car. But as for me, I had two cars with IRS, and I wasn't impressed at all. A 73 Vette, and an 05 GTO. I liked the LS2 engine in the 05 GTO, (especially after I installed a Magnuson TV1900 supercharger in it), but neither car handled that great. I realize that neither one of those cars were like a C5 Vette but it seems to me that any time you put some real power in front of an IRS, your straight line off the line traction will suffer. My 05 GTO had a tendency for wheel hop too. I was at a 530 HP level with it, which isn't even all that extreme.

The 9 inch Ford rear is a better idea for some good potential for straight line traction.
I could understand if hes working with a beat up old malibu. But this is an unmolested 2 owner 69 SS Chevelle here.....

1 - 20 of 125 Posts