Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1972 Chevelle SS 454 M22
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my 1972 Chevelle SS 454 4speed m22..with ac..?

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
I guess it would be close to a 1970 style Rad. My LS-5/ M-22 with Fac. A/C has a 4 row copper/ Brass. You should also have the H.D. or VO-1 cooling system. My Rad. tank stamps are " XJ "-- & -- " IF ", Along with NO Provisions for the Auto Tranny cooler.
With the VO-1 on a 70 you would get ,, 4 bolt top plate,,4 row, C.-B. rad,, Correct fan shroud,,7040205 fan blade = 3:31 Rear Gear,,Eaton clutch,,811TX water pump,,Correct fan shroud for your year.
Also , All my engine pulleys have stamped numbers on them. The numbers all start with " AO ".
Bob

·
Premium Member
1972 Chevelle SS 454 M22
1,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess it would be close to a 1970 style Rad. My LS-5/ M-22 with Fac. A/C has a 4 row copper/ Brass. You should also have the H.D. or VO-1 cooling system. My Rad. tank stamps are " XJ "-- & -- " IF ", Along with NO Provisions for the Auto Tranny cooler.
With the VO-1 on a 70 you would get ,, 4 bolt top plate,,4 row, C.-B. rad,, Correct fan shroud,,7040205 fan blade = 3:31 Rear Gear,,Eaton clutch,,811TX water pump,,Correct fan shroud for your year.
Also , All my engine pulleys have stamped numbers on them. The numbers all start with " AO ".
Bob
Bob..How can I identify what I have..? it looks to not be a original radiator..it may not be a 4 row.if it was only a 3 row would it overheat?..where could I locate a good original radiator?

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Most of my info is for 70s, I do believe some of this should be the same.
LOOK at your RAD. tanks:surprise: Mine has " HARRISON " stamped on the Rt. tank and embossed markings for fluid levels.
Mine also has a tag about 1 1/2" X 2" attached to the lower Rt. on the rad. It has some G.M. codes on it. ( mine has " PA " code)
The tanks : Look :nerd: For embossed letters ( Two letters on each tank).
My tanks are embossed with XJ & IF, This Rad. is for the VO-1 cooling pkg. It is also for A/C cars in 70. 1970 A/C cars had the VO-1 Cooling.
My 1970 NOMAD is a 1971 body (wrecked in the front changed front clips).
It was a 307--350T wagon with P.D. Brakes & " FACTORY A/C ". It had H.D. cooling. 71s have a different " A/C " wiring harness, My 71 has relays under the glovebox. I do not use these. ALL my wiring is 1970- SS or " Z-15/25 " wiring.
You need some of your " Flop Top " guys that have the " VERY CHEAP UNDESIRABLE cars " With NO METAL roof, Just the CHEAP CANVAS covering. >:)>:)>:)To jump in here.
" IF " you have the org. left & right Rad. tanks with markings and such, You could get yours re-cored, With the correct looking 4 row C./B.
Bob
P.S. " 4 " speed " 4 ROW Harrision Rads., " are not real common to find. Due to the fact they were for VO-1 or H.D. Cooling and have " NO " provision for the T-400 cooling lines. If push comes to shove, I have the G.M. Threaded plugs for a G.M. four row to cover the tranny cooler holes.
In my 468 70 Nomad wagon. I have a mid 80s Caddy 4 row. Most ALL G.M. 4- row rads 70s & 80s were all the same. I would get the Buick-Pontiac-Big Chevy rads at junk yards, WHY? Most of the big Wagons had A/C and four row rads. Its all about the " Left & right= FOUR ROW TANKS " on the Rads.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I bought my original looking 4 row radiator from Ausleys. 2 years later and I'm still happy with it.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
A few months back I purchased a GM licensed, "Harrison" 4-row radiator for my '69 4-spd L78 Chevelle from "The parts Place" in Dekalb Illinois. They advertise on e-bay. Very nice radiator. Not cheap, but neither is an engine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts