Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I determine what size tires belong on my Chevelle? I have a 67 Chevelle SS convertible with 14" tires and rims. Tires are as new but some off brand. Rims, rings, and caps appear correct and are in excellent condition. I want to replace the tires, but want to make sure I replace them with the correct size. 15" may actually look better on the car, but I don't know if there are any clearance issues. I would also have to purchase new wheels, rings, and caps, so probalby not a good option. I don't know if I have 6" or 7" rims and do not know how to tell. How do you determine the width of the rims without removing the tires? The spare in the trunk is a 15" spare so I need to replace that as well. After I determine correct tire size I would like some advice on what the best tires are to buy. For some reason I have always had the impression that Coker's were the best. Not looking for drag race or rain tires. Looking for the best riding, handling, and looking tires. Thank you for your time and help. Will also have the old tires available if someone would like them and will pay shipping. Tires will be free.

Gary in Michigan
67red

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
i seem to recall that 205/70-14s are the current equivalent of the original sized 7.75x14 tires. I have 205/70-14s on my 66 Elky. Uniroyals are close to OEM style as are BFGs or Goodyears all that were used by GM at that period of production.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.