Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently purchased a pair of front 67 chevelle shock absorbers. I'm in the early stage of a frame-up on my 67 SS and the engine is out of the frame, therefore the suspension is fully extended. However when attempting to mount the shocks, I'm unable to attach the nut to the top of the shock stem, because the stem doesn't extend far enough to protrude through the frame. Ofcourse if there was enough weight on the frame to collapse the suspension some, I would be able to get the rubber bushing, washer and nut on. That means that when the suspension unloads during operating conditions, the suspension will try to pull the shock apart. Would anyone know the proper fully extended length of front shocks for a 67 Chevelle?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Dang if I can remember, but I will try. Several years ago I was installing new shocks on the front of my 67 300 Deluxe, according to the parts book I grabbed the shocks it said would fit. Well the shocks it called for were to short and would fully extend like you are worried about. The shocks I used were listed for heavy duty suspension (I have a small block eng). Also if you still have the original shocks, check the extended length. Hope this helps....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the old shocks, which were not the original but were a pair of Sears heavy dutys. They are 18 1/4 inches long overall. The pair I bought from Ground Up Restoration which are supposed to fit 64-77 are 1 1/2 inches shorter. I'm waiting for them to call me back. I already went thru the trouble to paint them the proper color gray, applied the labels and clear coated all the natural steel components.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.