Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While at the boneyard today I found some of the dual buckle retractors. My car was built in March of 72. Would these be correct for it. They had many to choose from which included black ones, or just chrome. The chrome ones where in full size cars so I thought they were wrong. When I got home I looked in some of the repo books for chevelles and they were chrome. What ones are correct. Also I know the year is on the tag, but is the exact date there too. I seen a # like 23 B 72. Is that a day and month. I seen a lot of 72's with 71 dates. Since my car was built in March do I need a 71 date code. Thanks for any input.

------------------
http://72sselcamino1.tripod.com/calscaminos/

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
My 72 Chevelle from the factory was black buckles. Bought it in October, 71. If that a help.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
No I don't have dual buckles. The shoulder strap slips into a slot on the male portion. Somewhere I have photos of mine. If I find them I'll email them.

·
Premium Member
2,393 Posts
72ss
The original belts in my el camino sound to be exactly like john's. Black buckle with the shoulder portion fitting into a slot. I have them home in a box & will check the date code.
BTW - My 72 is a March baby too - Leeds Plant at KC How bout yours?

------------------
Rick
72 El Camino
TPI350/700r4
TC#00038
ACES#00140

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry I didn't explain the belts better. The standard system has 4 belts. From what I can make out from the SS restoration guide the shoulder strap buckle is up by your shoulder.(Is this right) The ones I think we're all talking about is a 3 belt system. The shoulder strap connects to the same spot as the lap belt.
John, a picture would be great right about now. Thanks.
Anyone know if the shoulder strap is a different length for a elcamino. I'd hate to get the wrong ones. Any chance I could get you guys to measure yours.
Rick, my car was also built in KC, looks like they're related. Wouldn't it be a hoot if our vin #'s were really close. If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to e-mail you some more specific questions since you car is so close to mine. Also I'd like to compare our vin #'s.
Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

------------------
http://72sselcamino1.tripod.com/calscaminos/

[This message has been edited by 72sselcamino (edited 05-26-2001).]

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I believe that the system for 1971 has four belts, while the 1972 gets three. As for the shoulder belt, it is adjustable and would be hard to tell if there is a "wrong' belt for this application in 1972.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You have mail. Pictures aren't the greatest but should give you an idea.
If you are going for 10 point corrctness ran across something. Pulled a spare lap set out of something, wagon, Buick, don't remember. Looked identical to mine. Even had the stupid swich wire in the retracting half. However the buckle widths were different. The spare set mates to each other but not to my existing set.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.