Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to put the oil pan on my 427. The timing cover is attached. I have the fel-pro 4 pc pan gasket. The instructions show to trim the front rubber seal flush with the timing cover. This will cut off the rubber nubs that locate in the block. I'm confused here. What sealants and what should be trimmed or not? Any advise as to correctly do this would be really helpful. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
2,406 Posts
I'm doing the exact same thing. Just getting ready to put the pan gasket on my 396. Logged on to see what I could find as far as tips and came across your post. I also have a fel=pro 4 piece gasket, but didn't see anything about cutting. I also bought Loctite RTV 598 black silicone gasket maker, only because it was recommended with the gasket

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
lay the end seals in and dap corners with black gasket maker then lay down the pan rail gaskets and dap the corners again. put pan on and tighten evenly working from middle out in a circle thats what i do.

dont go over board on gasket maker i have seen folks put on both sides of every gasket. what a waste.

might want to look into the timing cover end seal, something was said about fel-pro's (i think thats the name brand) front main seal was no good and was leaky.

best to use a napa house brand.

i have had issues in the past with from main seal leaking on fresh engines so upsetting but never looked into it. other then it must have been my fault.

i will look into this on my next bbc build coming up in a few weeks.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All taken care of. Laid Gaskisinch on the runner gaskets, and dabbed the 4 points as stated. Torqued to specs, prayed, and hope she don't leak......my biggest fear!!!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts