Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Elky has 15" rallies on it now I think but I am trying to determine what size it left the factory with. The build sheet says it came with PY4 F70X14WW BELT, ZJ7 Rally Wheels and in a box it says the tire code is L8DM 5. It also came with option F40, the HD suspension (what's special about this suspension??)if it makes any difference. Also, what size wheel did my Elky have? Thanks!

------------------
1970 Chevy Custom El Camino aka Kaileigh
Green Mist & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl & Factory Dual Exhaust
Non-SS with Factory Rallies!
TH-350 Automatic - 2.73 Posi Rear
My El Camino Home Page - www.dreamelectric.com

·
Registered
777 Posts
Shawn,
Correct rallies are 14x7 5 stars.

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes...
The '70

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Not to disagree with Riffer's response (since I'm about 95% in agreement with it) but a lot of Chevelles and El Caminos came with 14X6 Rally Wheels, even when the tires were F70-14s. It's a little known fact that in '67 if you ordered disk brakes on a Chevelle that wasn't an SS or equipped with F70-14s you got skinny 14X5 Rally wheels (quite rare). It wasn't unusual for GM to spec a too narrow wheel (14X5 wheels on an Impala with 8.25-14 tires, which are G78s or P205/75-14s). Are there any specific codes on your protecto plate concerning the wheels? I have the codes that were actually stamped on the wheels sitting around here somewhere. I'll have to post that info when I find it.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Jeez, that was quick. For 14X7 wheels the code for '70 was XT; for 14X6 it was XG.

Remember to measure the wheel width from inside flage to inside flange, otherwise the width will appear to be 1" wider than it actually is.

Those 14X7 5-slots used to be quite rare as they were only produced in '69 & '70. Now reproductions are offered.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So to make sure, 14x7 is the size it came with. On the build sheet in the wheel box (45) it says YW. What's the right backspacing for my wheels?

I have front disc/rear drum brakes and my car originally came with (PY4) F70x14 WW BELT tires (maybe you can determine the size from that). My car was ordered by Carpenter's Chevrolet in Durham, NC as well (maybe some of you can tell if you have cars from there). I need to know this info ASAP so I can order some. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
Shawn, YW indicates 14x6 Rallies. The 14x7s were generally reserved for the SS and the odd COPO Camaro. That's not to say you couldn't have spent an extra $5 back in '70 and had it special ordered with the wide ones, but you would have gotten 14x6 normally.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any advantages of having the 14x6 wheels over any 15" wheels? Obviously, some other owner switched them along the way for some reason. My baby must've been beautiful back in the 70's.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.