Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a centerlink for my 66 SS396 project. The catalog listed 64-67 chevelle. The centerlink is the right length, but it hits the frame, and I cant turn the steering. The offset for oil pan clearance is about 1/4" more than the original centerlink, this is why it hits the frame. Could this be for a 64, and not the same as 66? I thought 66 & 67's were the same, but different than 64 & 65's. Where can I get the correct centerlink?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I bought one from Year One and it fit my 66 small block as good as the original.I have more than 1/4 in but less than 1/2 inch clearance.

Rene
66-Malibu

[This message has been edited by shooter (edited 08-08-99).]

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the same problem with my 67 convertable with a 66 frame. I bought my centerlink from Year One last winter and am just getting around to installing it, or trying to. The part number on it is RP25795 (RP= Rare Parts). I called my local parts store and they confirmed the number and it is suppose to fit 66 & 67 big and small block applications. They did not have one in stock, I wanted to try another to see if it fit to eliminate the fact that it may be something other than the link.
I did measure the frame from the ends (front from the outside wall left to right) the factory spec is 35.5" mine is 35.25". I don't think this makes the problem though.
I installed the old one from the 67 frame on to the 66 frame and it fits better. It is still close but does not rub the frame. With the new one installed I can turn the wheels but the link does rub the frame. Not acceptable. I am going to look for another new link locally to see if maybe I can find one that fits.
Let me know if you find a solution and I will do the same if I do.
Dale

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.