Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to restore my 68 Chevelle SS back to it's "glory" days with as original equipment as pssible. My goal is to make it look as "stock" as possible.

Which Battery would you suggest?
Where would I locate this Battery,etc?

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
483 Posts
Click on our sponsors link. They will have a delco that is original equipment. Get out the checkbook though, these things are high. Myself, I would just get a top post only delco battery, black. Most people won't know the difference.

·
Premium Member
8,074 Posts
138car said:
Is an R-59 top post correct?
Yes, for '67 -'70 SS396s. The '70 SS454 started with the sidepost R79 (or was it R5000?) Starting with the '71s they all got one type of sidepost or another. Tar tops through '66.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
DAVE,I have seen 3 lvl's of R59 Repro Delco batteries advertised over the past few yrs,a 650CC(Cold cranking amps @ 0 deg F),700CC,both std R59 batteries and a 750 CC version which i bouhgt called the R59HC.

I often wondered if the std R59 advertised as 650 & 700 CC were actually the same battery but hopefully the R59HC i bought is truely a 750 high CC amp battery.

If your running a BBC i would definately get the R59HC 750 CC battery if at all possible because the BBC's can use all they cranking amps you can get when starting a hot. This is esp needed when running apporx 18 deg btdc intial timing when running a perf cam like most of us are running.

Also,if your running a stock low output 37 amp alt have it rblt/upgradded to a 61amp while your at it. My local rbld'r had a kit to upgrade mine to 80 amp so i went for it but 61 amp is fine if your not running many accessoires. This will ensure you have a quicker/better fully charged battery when make mult stops & starts in a short period of time esp when at night with lights on etc if your running a high compression BBC that your trying to start hot with a stock HI TRQ starter.

Since you mentioned your restoring the car back to original i would install a new or restored volt reg and have your hi trq starter rblt to avoid hot starting issues to go along with the new battery & alt rblt /upgraded to 61 amps so you will have depndable starting weathter hot or cold.

scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts