Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a 67 Chevelle SS 396 325hp. It is a pretty much all original car in need of restoration. It has a single snorkel type air cleaner on it with a chrome lid. I was wondering if this is correct. In the research I have done I can only find the open element type air cleaners. Was this a special thing for the 325hp 396? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I pulled out my reprint of the Chevelle assembly manual and the page showing the 396 air cleaner installation is the single snorkle style you describe, but no indication if the lid is painted or chrome. However, on page 10 of the Chevelle SS Restoration Guide by Paul Herd, it shows the same cleaner with the chrome lid. I'd say you've got an original.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I should have mentioned he has sample underhood photos for each year to go along with descriptions of the engine changes from year to year. He is careful throughout the book to identify non-correct parts in his photos. FYI, the open element units look to have been standard on 350HP, 375HP, and later 360HP 396/402 motors without cowl induction. Whoops, there is one on a 71 454.
His book is a treasure chest of information, published by MotorBooks International. Well worth the $29.95
John Walker
John Walker

·
Premium Member
7,962 Posts
Re: correct single snorkle air cleaner.
Used in the L35 & L36 rpos, the chrome lid was stock on the 396/325 in the Chevelles and the 427/385 on the Impala SS427s. The lid was painted on 396/325 when in the Big Car, as was the lid on the 427/385 in a Big Car when it was not an SS427.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Cam is correct. I have the same car. I just purchased a snorkel air cleaner with chrome lid from True Connections. $180! Mine points to the drivers side. It has a crank case ventilation pipe on the passenger side which is connected to the valve cover with a huge rubber hose and elbow.

I originally bought an Impala air cleaner, thinking they were the same. The lid is not chrome and the snorkel points to the passenger side, which is incorrect on a Chevelle. This one did not have the crank case ventilation.

These air cleaners are hard to find. I think this is due to the fact that most people through them out in favor of an open element in the 70's.

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.