Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing the radiator hoses on my 70 BB. What are the correct tower clamp sizes on the radiator, water pump and thermostat housing? The clamps presently on the radiator appear to be the same size.

·
Premium Member
1,021 Posts
Re: Radiator hose tower clamps

Not sure about the answer to your question but I bought reproductions here late look pretty good to my untrained eye.

Clamp Sets

·
Premium Member
7,450 Posts
"IMPORTANT
Although these clamps look exactly like the originals, they are not as strong.
When installing please use a pliers to grip the tower, and insure the screw stays on a straight course while tightening."

How important are these really?

At least the car would look correct when its sitting on the side of the road with no coolant and burglars watching...

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
My one owner 70 SS 454 has the tower clamps. ( trailer Queen , not driven much) The 70-468 that I drive has the old standard worm clamps. If you are going to drive it, WELL, Its a tough call ?????
FACT: The new style tower clamps are """ NOT """ :nerd: as good as the 1970 Factory tower clamps. :surprise: AND ,, YES ,,, You can screw up the REPO. clamps up in a " Heartbeat " ( no pun intended ).
FACT # 2- I have had the worm clamps on my 468 driver for over 36.000 miles. Also, I installed the repo. tower clamps on my driver ( when I first built it ) due to fact you can see them. The one at the water pump fell apart during install, The top hose clamp got a bit cock/eyed looking. Tightened it a bit and it fell apart.
Bottom line is my driver has worm clamps. Again your call!
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I bought about a half-dozen sizes before I got them all fitted properly. It's probably a good idea to carry some regular clamps and a few gallons of coolant if you plan on driving any distance with aftermarket tower clamps. :wink2:

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
For my 70, I purchased my clamps through Pacecarjeff. Clamp Sets Yes you still need to be careful when installing these types of clamps but I've had these on my car for 6+ years now (which I drive) with no issues.

·
Registered
8,144 Posts
if someone has trouble installing repro tower clamps and has no faith in them holding up to regular driving, I have trouble believing they have any skill to put together a car to begin with

1 - 8 of 8 Posts