Team Chevelle banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
yeah I posted that question a while back. I got a good answer worht trying but I haven't tried it yet.

Hook the ground of a car battery charger to the ground on the drill battery. Hook the positive of the drill to a file. Scrape the positive lead of the charger over the file. The little jolts of power from the lead alternately making and breaking contact is supposed to clean up the battery. I think I have that right. ANyway, what's the worst that could happen?

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah I posted that question a while back. I got a good answer worht trying but I haven't tried it yet.

Hook the ground of a car battery charger to the ground on the drill battery. Hook the positive of the drill to a file. Scrape the positive lead of the charger over the file. The little jolts of power from the lead alternately making and breaking contact is supposed to clean up the battery. I think I have that right. ANyway, what's the worst that could happen?
what amperage? 2, 10, 50....

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
what amperage? 2, 10, 50....
I was just going to use my 6 amp.

But I bought a nice used Porter Cable 19v with 2 batteries at Englishtown for $35, so I might just leave the old one on the shelf :)

·
Premium Member
13,664 Posts
I might have to try this with my dead batteries for my drill.

·
Premium Member
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did some more research on this. Looks like the best way is to find out which cells are bad/shorted. I'm going to pop open my 19.2 volt pack. It consists of (16) individual 1.2 volt Nicd's. I will find the shorted ones and hit them with the battery charger to burn off the conductive filaments/dendrites that cause the short. I have one battery that comes off of the charger at 21+ volts. The other comes off the charger only at 17 volts, so it must have at least 3 shorted cells.
Read this if interested.... repair of Nicd battery

1 - 8 of 8 Posts