Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really crazy story and I know I should write it on a piece of paper and swallow it, but here goes, this technician I know, who has raced Fords and Mopars with moderate success tells me that I should plug up the little water hose that runs between my water pump and the front of the intake manifold and reroute the coolant using a long rubber hose to the back of one of the heads, drilling appropriate holes and using good hardware etc. He says the whole darn thing will work better ( on a 454 truck engine in a street Beaumont ). Is this an old back yard racers trick that I don't understand, or is he way off track? Thanks...I know I should have swallowed it, please be kind, it's a true story....R. B.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Well this confirms it. I AM NUTS!

I was running down the freeway this morning trying to visualize how to reroute the cooling to not go through the intake manifold. Just to add a few difficulty points, I want it reversable for the winter. I gets hot in So Cal in the summer and I was noticing how well the car ran with the engine warmed up and air cold (well cool for the rest of the country).

I am thinking of the (oh not this again) the Performer RPM Air Gap. Is there a way to bypass the intake manifold cooling water ports?

------------------
Dale P.
Team Chevelle Member# 423
65 El Camino
72 Monte Carlo
"..you did you take the washer off, right?"

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I believe it originated in circle track. The idea is to get better cooling to the back of the heads. I read what to do is run hoses from where the stock sending unit plug on the head is with a fitting and "T" it into your heater hoses. This, "I read" will drop your opp temp up to 30 degrees.But then again Smokey Yunik said "optimal operating temp is between 200 and 210 degrees".

·
Registered
937 Posts
I believe what he is talking about is the fact that on a chevy V8 number 5 and 7 cylinders fire in sequence. This coupled with the fact that the coolant circulates through the block before the heads causes undesireable hotter temps in the middle of the heads between numbers 5 and 7. Racers sometimes plumb a line from the water pump to this area. Better yet, route to both heads, and even better still get yourself a 'reverse' (actually 'proper') cooling engine (i.e. an LT1)!

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gentlemen, thank you for your responses, and mainly for believing me...I know it sounds nutz, your answers made a lot of sense as my friend Ken is a circle track racer, I doubt if I will actually do this procedure, as it doesn't seem worth the time and trouble...probably a flush, a better fan shroud or an electric fan would do the job very well with less time and money, however, it makes some sense to me now...hope nobody who took the time is ticked off if this remains in the theoretical realm rather that being turned into the real thing...maybe somebody else will want to try it. Thanks again...R.B. in Ont.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.