Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my rebuilt 396, (now .060 over) and new Turbo 400 transmission in. Went for a ride and it just kept overheating. I guess the original rad is gone, and I will buy a Be-cool rad. Should I buy an electric fan?, and should I add a shroud.

Later all,
Otherwise it runs real strong...'

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Before spending tons of cash on fancy components, be sure that you have all the basics in place. YES get a shroud. The air will short circuit around the fan without it reducing fan effectiveness. Make sure you are running a stat people here recommend in the 180º - 195º range. Be sure to use a coolant/water mix. Most people recommend a stock style clutch fan set-up from a newer chevy. For extra $$ a Winstar dual electic fan drops in too.. My 2¢ Good Luck

------------------
Ron Cook TC Gold Member #1276
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396 69 300 Deluxe 325HP L35 69memorylane 1971 Malibu 2DR HT
"Never let fear and good judgement hold you back!"

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Put a shroud on it.

Be sure you clutch fan (?) isn't slipping and not engauging when hot.

Have your radiator flushed. I was amazed at the crap that came out! The shop will paint it too.

Drop in a 180 stat

Your good to run 50/50 mixture through the winter months down here. drop it to 25 green ****, 75 water in the summer.

Don't go electric just yet. you can keep that 396 motor cool with stock type stuff.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.2 @ 86.8mph
1/4: 12.7 @ 107.8mph (1.93 sixty foot)
--have pulled a 1.85 sixty foot before (street tires or course).
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Premium Member
4,136 Posts
My .02.......rather than flush the radiator go the extra mile and have your radiator recored. Then you will have essentially a brand new radiator. Your engine will love the pampering.You can shop around and find some bargains too. It you have "Auto Zone" stores in your area they sell brand new radiators very cheap. I bought a 3 row a/c style radiator for $99. and it came with a Lifetime warranty. The cheapest recore I could get in my town was $150. Needless to say the $99 radiator is in my Chevelle.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Charbilly2001, Are you married to the Autozones CEO's daughter? To fix coolant problems start with cheap and work your way up. Do a "good" flush first, Thermostat second, check/replace fan clutch as necessary, the next step(s) are a judgement calls: Normally a water pump on a V-8 won't erode like they do on the "newer improved" models, but one never knows. Make sure the fan is near the radiatior, air dams are in place and that the air flowing thru the grill is not being sucked off to someplace else. Then if that doesn't work go buy you a new Modine and live happily ever after. Forgot about shrouds; but it may be necessary.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
The stock set up if it is good shape should be fine. My 66 with the stock 360 Hp would actually run too cool. It had the stock 3row radiator and shroud.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankyou everyone, so more info

The radiator was flushed when we rebuilt the engine, the water pump is also new and I am using the stock fan setup with the clutch. The car stayed under 210 very early this morning in the cool weather and no traffic, but i would not chance any daytime Atlanta stop and go traffic. I had to keep it under 70 mph, or it would start to heat up...
I am using a 185 thermostat.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
AtlantaSS,
For my 69, I bought a new Modine from Marietta Radiator, they are just up the road from you. It's a 3-row unit, fits perfectly, cost around $240 as I recall. I use a stock GM fan with a new GM fan clutch, plastic shroud, and a 180 thermostat. My car never goes over 185, even in stop and go traffic on the hottest days.

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup
79 Suzuki GS550

·
Registered
461 Posts
Another good source for Modines is Harrell's Radiator in Fayetteville, NC. They can UPS you one normally the same day. Call Kenny or Randy at 1-800-443-4832.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I was at Marietta Radiator getting a new radiator for my pickup, so I decided to check on the Chevelle radiator in case you're still interested. Turns out my memory is a little foggy, it costs less than I stated in my previous post. A new 3-row Modine, just like the one that's been working awesome in my car for three years now, will set you back $156.31. Modine part number 322.

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup
79 Suzuki GS550

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.