Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so installed basicly a edelbrock air gap intake. i put new gaskets on and such and got the intake installed with out any problems. when i got everything together again and was running the car i relized the temp gauge never read anything even after long idling and what not. also my electric fans turn on at 160 degrees. and they as well were not turning on. my thermostat was also closed but my manifold and heads were very hot. the gauge is not broken because when my radiator hose shot off today and my car was running the temp went up real fast. but this annoys me becasue i dont know what went wrong. any one ever deal with anything like this? could it be something with a head gasket? becasue i have oil leaking and spraying on my fenders pretty bad but i dont think its coming form the valve covers becasue the headers are clean in some spots where in some spots it looks like oil is shooting from the flange on the primary, Sorry for the constant problems. my brand new motor with less than 3000 miles on it is way to problematic.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Did you put the thermostat in upside down?

Where is your temp probe? If it's the mechanical kind that is in the intake, those can break and be erratic. It use conduction to along a copper cord to relay the relative tempature tot he gauge. IF you break this, your screwed. Or it can partially re-attach and send "some" of the temp signal.

-good luck

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.2 @ 86.8mph
1/4: 12.7 @ 107.8mph (1.93 sixty foot)
--have pulled a 1.85 sixty foot (before street tires or course).
Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no i dont think i broke it. i put it in the back of the manifold though. but the think that makes me want to think that i didnt break it is. that my fans never turn on. unless i turn the temp gauge on them way down. mabey ill try relocating the sender to the bottom hose instead of the top. and check the gauge.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Justin,

How did you fill the engine with water after you installed the manifold? You need to fill the block first by filling through the thermostat hole in the manifold before installing the thermostat and housing. After filling and installing the thermostat and housing/upper hose, go ahead and finish filling the radiator. If you only filled through the radiator you end up with a large air pocket in the block which won't allow the thermostat to open and depending on where the sensor is, the gauge may not read at all.

Jody

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
Sounds like the block didn't "burp" after you did the swap and that air pocket just stayed there and never moved. I bet it got REALLY hot before it shot off the hose due to steam expansion. Hope you didn't warp anything. Pull off the top hose and the thermostat and fill up the block right to the top then drop in the stat and close it up. Fill the rad up and hope for the best.

------------------
'65 Maliblue 406SBC/PG TC #811
'94 Camaro 1LE (original owner)
'97 HD Softtail Springer

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Don't feel dumb dude; many of us here have done way crazier things. Like there was one time Walter Zoomie thought he could handle Canadian Beer.....

Do double check the thermostat is in the right way - an easy thing to have happen...

------------------
Ron Cook TC Gold Member #1276
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396 69 300 Deluxe 325HP L35 69memorylane 1971 Malibu 2DR HT
"Never let fear and good judgement hold you back!"

[This message has been edited by Bow_Tied (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
Bow tied. I brought some olympia beer back from Seattle one time and sat and had one with an old native fisherman that used to fish for us. He told me "This beer is just like making love in a canoe! It,s F****** near water!"

·
Registered
461 Posts
Agree that filling the block before installing the thermostat is a method of fighting air pockets, but after running the car thru several hot/cold cycles and letting the thing puke, either in a recovery tank or on the ground, and then checking the coolant level all the air will go away if the cap is okay. Another technique that has been used is to drill a 1/8" hole in the t-stat and monitor the coolant level. Contrary to what I have heard in some circles, I have never seen anyone drill a Robert Shaw t-stat, others are normally no problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.