Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone replaced their belt driven fan and shroud w/ a electric unit ? thanks, jay

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
The electric fans are nice because they are better for fuel economy and they do not make noise all the time. I have used on with an adjustable thermostat and it worked pretty well. I used a relay to apply full power to the fan so that the thermostat would not have to see the load of the fan motor.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If you street drive it keep your belt driven and use an electric fan when it gets a little warm. If you have a lot of horsepower, compression, lots of timing and street drive in warmer weather those electric fans don't seem to keep up.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

·
Registered
738 Posts
Plain 69 is right about most of your aftermarket electric fans in a hotter climate - they just don't cut the mustard by themselves and often have to have another fan to help keep things cool.

HOWEVER, I can recommend one single electric fan that has worked exceptionally well on my 10-1, 38 degree'd, 400+ horse 383 stroker. I live in Houston, Texas where the mercury soars for months on end it seems. You need to check out the Black Magic fan from Flexalite. Jeg's and Summit carries it and I think it runs in the $180 range. As long as the rest of your cooling system is up to the task (ie. strong water pump, big radiator) this fan pulls some serious air thru the radiator and it works well. I think it moves something like 2,800 cfm and sounds like a big flex fan when it runs. My temps NEVER get over 180 degrees while cruising day or night during the summer here in Houston. FYI, I use a big Griffin 2 row radiator and an Edelbrock water pump combined with a 160 thermostat. My fan is positioned at the top right corner of the radiator (the hottest spot). I bump up to a 180 thermostat during the cooler months, like now. Otherwise it runs too cold and never gets above 160. Hope this helps.

------------------
1970 Malibu - 383 'Fog Fed' Brute Force Chevelle. Houston, Texas...Gold Member #39

·
Registered
193 Posts
I put a 350 in a S10 pick-up and went with serpentine belts. Any way there wasn't room for a fan on the engine. So we put two elec fans on the outside. Did a good job until warm weather. Then it would run pretty warm, 210-230. Went ot a Elderbrock water pump and problem was solved. just my 2 cents worth. good luck. Slime

------------------
Steve

W

·
0 Posts
The electric fans used on my 93 vette seem to do the job. There is no room on late model vettes for a fan. The fans are under contol of a temp switch and the AC system. They come on any time the AC is switched on and run all the time.

I live and work in the Wash D.C. area, sort of like Houston, hot and nasty.

The 67 has a stock big block radiator, stock pump, clutch fan and a 180 thermo, worst case it might go 200 after running it hard.

If you have the room do it like Wes said, leave the stock stuff and add a fan for those nasty days.

------------------
Wally
Gold #67
67 Malibu "Small Block"
90 SS454
71 Malibu "Small Block"
93 torch red vette

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Just one comment on the newer cars with electric fans. They are computer controlled and have better technology in designing engines to run cooler. The computer doesn't have to worry about castiron heads running 11:00 to 1 compression with 40 degrees overzealous timing. I think it is great that the newer cars can run that cool without a fan.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

·
Gold Founding Member
1970 Chevelle Convertible & 1965 Chevelle SS Convertible
1,284 Posts
On my L78 with a Dyers Supercharger I used to run a belt drivein stainless flex fan with two Flexilite fans in the front of the radiator. I would use the flex fans only when needed. They worked great. Was able to keep the car fairly cool on a 90 degree day.

Rich

------------------
70 SS - L34
Eatontown, NJ
Member # 442
www.chevelles.com/showroom/richr1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.