Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone who owns a 70 Velle or Camino have a coolant recovery bottle installed???

I have scanned / looked at hundreds of pictures and searched through my factory assembly manual for a coolant recovery bottle and nothing, nada, zip, for a STOCK application... Just a hose off the filler neck of the radiator...
So if anyone has an after market one installed on a fairly stock car, please post a picture or web site that shows a loction...
Thanks

------------------
JR
70 396SS El Camino #'s Matching.
69 396SS Chevelle, project car
96 H-D Ultra Classic Electra Glide
72 Chevy C20 Flatbed
I live to own toyz...

JR's 70 SS El Camino..>
JR's HOG & DOG
So Cal Meet and Greet at Fudd's

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have a puke bottle installed on the passenger side fender well. I ripped the bottle out of some car in a junk yard. Sorry no pictures though. Also once the fluid is in there I have to drain it or something becuase it only has an "in" hole.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
Saskatchewan
'71 Malibu with a home built 454!
"Hard work MAY pay of in the long run, but laziness pays off NOW"
My Page

·
Registered
400 Posts
I asked this question a couple of months ago, and was told by a member that they were not installed on the cars(only had the overflow tube) however he then said that a recovery tank from any late '80s to early '90s F-body(camaro or firebird) will fit on the wheelwell w/ some modifications. Hope this helps

------------------
Dennis Jones TC Member#940 72 Malibu Project

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm in the progress of repairing my coolant system, out with the old, in with the new kind of thing... Plus, in the past, I did some research in books and web site picture, and yes these cars did not come with one, not until 73... I'm looking for an after market one that will fit with VERY minor modifications... Once I reinstall everything I'm planning on using Dex-Cool and this stuff is expensive so I don't want in leaking out onto the ground from the overflow tube... So that bring me to another question; Is anyone using Dex-Cool in their Classic???

Thanks

------------------
JR
72 Chevy C20 Flatbed
I live to own toyz...

JR's 70 SS El Camino..>
JR's HOG & DOG

·
Registered
982 Posts
A friend's old SuperStock car used to use a Foster's can for a catch can, but I don't think thats what your looking for.

Most aftermarket items will be a catch can , ie I run a black RCi.

G-Body car's are always a good source of scroungable parts.....they use some fairly large recovery systems that mount on to the fenderwell if I recall correctly.

·
Registered
13,317 Posts
I have done this on 2 cars, a 70 and 71. I searched the salvage yards until I found just the right size and shape (import cars seem to have convenient small sizes). I removed the battery and installed it in the space under the fender, to the right of the battery. I drilled 2 holes down below the lip of the fender for 1/4in bolts (don't even notice it). I ran the drain hose from the overflow bottle down between the bat tray and inner fender. You WILL NEED to go and buy a new radiator cap for a recovery system because the regular cap won't work properly.
Yes, with the bottle located behind the bat and fender, it is difficult to get to, and very well hidden, but, that's the idea.
To fill the overflow bottle, I remove the overflow hose from the radiator, insert a small funnel in the hose, fill with water until the overflow runs out on the ground, then place the hose back on the radiator. If you want the overflow bottle empty, just reverse and siphon out the overflow bottle.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
293 Posts
JR, if you have a 2000 Year One catalog check page 305. You can get the bottle, new rad cap, hose, etc. in a complete kit for like $17.95. I plan on getting one.

------------------

Mark
1970 SS454 LS6 (nom)
-------------------------
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom to achieve a measure of 'safety' deserve neither freedom nor safety."

·
Gold Founding Member
1,507 Posts
Tom:

I knew this was gonna be a good day! I've been thinking about overflow on my 69 for months now. I never thought of putting it behind the bat.

Great idea!

------------------
Bob

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
I did a restoration a few years ago on a hugger orange '69 RS Camaro. The guy runs 12's with the car but asked that it retain its original restored appearance. Because of race rules he was required to run the overflow tank. I used an aftermarket race puke can (black tubular type) with the petcock on the bottom. I mounted it on the drivers side of the radiator on the core support and ran a 3/8 hard line from the cap overflow outlet to the puke can. I formed it to conform to the core support and ran it along the front side of the radiator and into the top of the puke can. What resulted was a system that only the tech people catch and for the most part goes unnoticed at the shows. I will try to get you a picture tomorrow.

------------------
"Details Make the Difference"

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>'68 SS427 Impala
<LI>'69 SS427 Impala Convertible
[/list]

·
Registered
918 Posts
I just did this after someone notified me about the mid 80's F-body bottle. I think I paid $15.00 at Chevy, and it looks stock. It mounts on the fenderwell behind the battery. It does come with 3 tabs on it, you cut the not needed one off, and it looks factory stock. I'm sorry that I don't have a picture of mine, but here is a link to a picture the gentleman sent me of his car. I wish I could remember his name!
http://geocities.com/jdreinecke/Chevelle/Pictures/overflow.htm

------------------
David Reinecke - aka - FINE 68
1968 Chevelle 300 Sport Coupe Deluxe
http://www.geocities.com/jdreinecke

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
JR, On the subject of DEX-Cool. We've had extensive discussions onthis subject with my Impala SS club. I'll give you the short version. This is the Orange color coolant that GM developed for use to support the 100,000 mile service claims. My Impala is an early 1995 model but the late 1995 and all of the 1996's got it. Some of the reported problem are:
1. Brown gunk build up in the radiator which some people contribute to it's reaction with aluminum parts.
2. Clogged heater cores, caused by the brown gunk. You'll note this has happened when you turn on your heater and no heat comes out.
3. What's the brown gunk you ask? Like I said above, it may be the reaction with the aluminum. Then theere is the pellets that the dealer and factory may or may not be putting in your radiator when they fill it. Niether I nor anyone in my club has gotten a straight answer on that one.

So in conclusion, I would stick with the green stuff and avoid any possible troubles.
My 2 cents woorth.

------------------
Armando
San Gabriel, CA
66 Malibu,454,M22
64 El camino
57 Bel Air
95 Impala SS

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys... Year One, huh??? That is the only catalog I don't have... I didn't want to pay $5 bucks for it...

Mondo,
You mentioned brown gunk in coolant system because of aluminum components... Do you know how it will react with copper and brass??? Sounds like I may take your advice on the green stuff...

------------------
JR
72 Chevy C20 Flatbed
I live to own toyz...

JR's 70 SS El Camino..>
JR's HOG & DOG

[This message has been edited by SS396ELKY (edited 02-22-2001).]

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
JR, The part # is S103. The cost is $19.95 (must've gone up). It includes the bottle, bracket, rad. cap, hose, overflow bottle cap, hose, and mounting screws. BTW, when you place your first order they credit you for the cost of the catalog.

------------------

Mark
1970 SS454 LS6 (nom)
-------------------------
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom to achieve a measure of 'safety' deserve neither freedom nor safety."

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Mark...

·
Premium Member
17,391 Posts
I used a used bicycle water bottle (about 1 quart) that was free ('cause I got a promo one from some company), and bought a nice looking aluminum bracket at the bike store for $5. Cheap, simply and hidden from view. I mounted this under the inner fender, bolted to the bumper brackets. I just drilled some holes and screwed in fittings by hand (snug, but not enough to strip the plastic. I just lift it out of the bracket and pull open the top to drain. Right now it just an overflow bottle, but I am going to try it as a recovery tank this coming year. I think it pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
300 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mondo454:
JR, On the subject of DEX-Cool. We've had extensive discussions onthis subject with my Impala SS club. I'll give you the short version. This is the Orange color coolant that GM developed for use to support the 100,000 mile service claims. My Impala is an early 1995 model but the late 1995 and all of the 1996's got it. Some of the reported problem are:
1. Brown gunk build up in the radiator which some people contribute to it's reaction with aluminum parts.
2. Clogged heater cores, caused by the brown gunk. You'll note this has happened when you turn on your heater and no heat comes out.
3. What's the brown gunk you ask? Like I said above, it may be the reaction with the aluminum. Then theere is the pellets that the dealer and factory may or may not be putting in your radiator when they fill it. Niether I nor anyone in my club has gotten a straight answer on that one.

So in conclusion, I would stick with the green stuff and avoid any possible troubles.
My 2 cents woorth.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know one thing that'll cause that "gunk" is when you mix it with the "Green" stuff...The stuff is good, but just not compatible with the "sandard" type (green)...

------------------
I work to live, but make money for fun...when am I gonna start having fun?

John's 383 Malibu

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.