Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built my BB last winter and ever since I've had to add a little water to the radiator. I know they like to weep a little on an old 67. I always check it before I take a cruz. The level stays good for about 200 miles or so and then all of a sudden I need to add at least a half gallon. The cores are all showing and it seems like it takes a lot of water.
My thought is a crack. It opens up when the motor gets really warm, like 210. And it reaches that sometimes. I've checked the plugs and they all look fine, so I can't tell that way either.
Any thoughts on this problem?

------------------
MY CAR
Stacey
67 chevelle

At sixteen I got my license. (One of the best days of my life.)

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Stacey are you sure that your not loseing it out your overflow when it reaches 210.I know my 67,if sitting in traffic and gets a little warm, it will spit a little.

------------------
CFR.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I was going to say the same thing as CFR...My 69 seems to 'settle' with a level ~2½" from top...Perhaps hook-up a temporary overflow and see if that is where it goes...good luck

------------------
Ron Cook TC Gold Member #1276
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396 69 300 Deluxe 325HP L35 69memorylane 1971 Malibu 2DR HT
"Supporting all car hobbyists, even those with different cars than yours, is what being a true enthusiast is all about."

·
Registered
622 Posts
In addition to the overflow bottle that Bow_Tied suggested, I'd also check the level closely every time I drove it for a while. This will tell you if it is really losing coolant consistently or occasionally in larger amounts. Consistent loss would suggest a leak, head gasket, or similar, while occasional large losses might relate more to overheating and belching. This may narrow it down for you. Also you say that the plugs look "fine" - if one is cleaner than the others - like new - you may have coolant leaking into that cyl..
As said above, the radiator will create it's own air space to a point then stop if all is well with the system.

------------------
Make it the way you like it, forget what the other guys say!
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/al's64elky-1
http://www.chevelles.com/showroom/al's64elky-2

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'd check your oil also, make sure you don't have a milk shake going on in your oil pan.

------------------
Tom Donaldson
71' GMC Sprint

·
Registered
461 Posts
Good points from the the others, but I believe we need more info: Have you got a coolant recovery tank on the thing or just a puke hose? Do you have a green mess in your driveway after these cruises? Without a recovery tank your radiator level should be at 2(+/-) inches below the cap when COLD. Also as a last resort a radiator shop ought to be able to test the system for combustion gases in the coolant, indicating that the water is seeping into the wrong places on the block. If the blue stuff they use turns pee yellow, you have a problem, such as a blown gasket or cracked block. Let us know the answers to the above ?s.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.