Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '70 likes to puke coolant out the radiator overflow (no tank) after warming to operating temperature and driving for a bit. I've seen many cars at cruise-ins/shows that do this, so maybe it is not cause for too much concern... but still...

Coolant temperature never goes above 190 or so. The motor is a mild 467. I am running an aluminum radiator with electric fans and have no cooling problems other than this occasional "puking".

Cap pressure too low?
Coolant level too low/high?
Worse - Blown head gasket?

Thoughts or insights would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
982 Posts
A recovery or overflow tank should cure this, assuming there are no other issues, which it dosen't sound like.
'
Expansion his a byproduct of heat. That's why when you top off the coolant when cold then as the car heats up and the coolant expands it spits out the overflow.

If you had a recovery tank the coolant would be stored there until the car cools down and pulls the coolant from the tank back into the radiator.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
After it pukes a few times, it should stop doing it as long as you don't add coolant to the radiator. It's normal and ok for the coolant to be a few inches from the top of radiator when cold.

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I did a bit of searching after my post (probably should have done that first) and found that these are pretty well the common answers. I appreciate the feedback.

Do you think there's any significance to the overflow being foamy?

·
Registered
6,197 Posts
Yes
my system has a clear plastic hose from the Rad Cap to the Bottom of the Overflow Bottle

Have never seen my Coolant foamy coming from the Rad Cap to the Overflow Bottle

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Yeah, it should not be foamy.

Is this a new problem or has it done this for a long time?

Maybe pull the radiator cap and start the car. Let it warm up to operating temp and observe what the coolant looks like flowing through the radiator. Make sure you run it long enough so the thermostat opens. See if you see any excessive bubbles in the coolant.

A bad head gasket could be a possibility. If you suspect it might be this, there are kits to test for combustion gases in the radiator... Amazon.com: Lisle 75500 Combustion Leak Detector: Automotive

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I only have about 500 miles on the motor/car since I got it "done". But it didn't puke foamy coolant in the beginning - hence my concern...

I'll do some testing and see what I can find - bubbles / chemical test / leakdown test.

Thanks for the input guys. I really do appreciate it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts