Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im finding small puddles of coolant on top of my Edelbrock intake manifold on the passenger side of my 72 Malibu. I cant seem to find the source of it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Most common reason is leaking hoses, either at the radiator hose or the heater hoses. Sometimes it won't start to leak until the system is pressurized.

------------------
70 Impala Sport Coupe (350)
66 Chevelle (I wish, still looking)
http://www.geocities.com/ledsled_26m

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Everything is fairly new. Thermostat housing seems to be fine. I wasnt sure if it was something more serious because it was on entire side of intake.

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
same thing happened to me...couldnt find it til it blew while underway...really fast way to make un uncleanable mess of your pristine engine compartment

it was the chrome thermo housing which corrodes inisde where you cant see it and develops pinholes..

check this and go to a cast iron (from any parts store ) if this is the culprit

------------------
Rich Baratta
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
May 2001 Feature Car
BSE WannaBe
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Could be just a simple pressure leak. Do you have the proper cap?

Are you finding this after the engine has sit for a period of time, like overnight? I have seen this many times, the system cools down and a small leak will occur at the hose connection on the 'stat housing. Need to clean the inside of the hose and the outlet pipe, put some silicone grease on the connection and it may help.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I pulled the chrome thermostat housing the other day to look at it and its O ring seemed fine and it had no corrosion.Theres also no coolant around housing either. I also put a 180 thermostat in it. It had a 195 in it and was running hotter than i would have liked.Before I went to the car show last night I torqued the intake bolts down and I did not notice any coolant today. It has only done it twice this week so Im still not sure if its fixed.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Chrome water necks suck. Period. Get a file and make sure the base of the housing is flat. I bet thats your problem. Been there done that.

------------------
350 TBI EFI 4speed 12bolt 3.73's
Bench Blue w/black inter. [email protected]
"UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!" Beldar

My 69 Chevelle

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.