Team Chevelle banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently posted this topic in the Cooling/Heating Section but I decided to post it here as well to possibly get more answers. Well... here it is:

Hi everyone. I know this problem could either be bad head gaskets or intake manifold gasket or cracked head. I'm pretty sure this isn't my block. It was recently checked before restoration began on this car. The Intake and Carb. are off as a total piece because I am in the process to remove the Heads and their gaskets. I am going to take my Heads to a local shop to be sure they aren't cracked or warped or anything like that. But before I started removing everything, I drained all the Coolant and contaminated oil. I left all the Coolant out (drained) and refilled it with new oil and I started it up about three times. It starts up. Then leave it for about a day (not touching or doing anything with the car) and go back and check the oil, and it is mixed with antifreeze again (even though I drained all the Coolant). So I figure there is still coolant somewhere that is not coming out when it was drained from the radiator and its hoses and the water pump was also replaced. Then, I took all the Spark Plugs out and they aren't damaged and I turned it over and no water came out of the spark plug holes. But it is still mixing with the oil. Once the Heads are gaskets are off, I am going to soak up as much as I can with a rag and then replace everything and connect everything back up. Then I'm going to drain the oil again and fill it up with new cheap 10W-30 and Engine Flush and let it idle for about 5 minutes and drain it again and hope that will clean everything out. Then refill with the new oil and filter and all that. I'm just wondering if you think soaking up as much coolant as I can and using Engine Flush will get all the coolant out of the spots it's not supposed to be will fix my problem? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Hello Mike,

Probably the worst thing that one could do would be to run the engine while coolant is still getting into the oil. It seems to be one of the better ways to ruin a set of bearings. :)

If you replace the head gaskets like you planned, just do a good job soaking the coolant up, and change the oil once or twice afterward. Once you do that, you should be set. I probably wouldn't bother with the engine flush.

Did you do a compression test to determine which cylinders have the cylinder head/gasket problem?

Mike

1 - 2 of 2 Posts