Team Chevelle banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I noticed that I have coolant leaking from the block behind the manifold. Is a straight 6 3L, The car starts fine and theres is no sign of water in the oil. Any suggestions here please ? Images attached.

·
Premium Member
16,373 Posts
Wish I was more familair with the layout of a stright 6. Walter, one thing you can do is to pressurize the cooling system with a testor. Whether that is readily avail in the UK, I dont know> At 15- 20psi, you will see the leak happening. The testor mounts like a radiator cap, and lets you pump it up.

The leak isnt at the thermostat housing ,is it? Common area for corrosion. A simple clean and re gasket would do the trick. May have to file the mating surfaces flat.

WECOME TO TEAM CHEVELLE!

·
Registered
1965 Malibu SS
46 Posts
It's possible that that bolt hole enters the water jacket. You might try removing the bolt, clean it up with a wire wheel and then apply sealant to the bolt threads and reinstall bolt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. New to the Chevelle, just bought the car, I was really exited and this happened. : (

·
Premium Member
2,845 Posts
So in the second pic, it looks like it’s wet between the intake and exhaust manifold? The seam there is the head gasket, but it looks wet above it as well. Dry it off as well as you can, pressure test it and look to see where it starts. The intake and exhaust manifold on those engines are dry, containing no coolant so it can’t come from there. I don’t remember if the mount bolts go into wet holes, but pulling that bracket between them is quick and easy, and will tell you if that’s the source. If not you can see it better.

Devin

·
Premium Member
16,373 Posts
Thanks guys. Really appreciate the help. New to the Chevelle, just bought the car, I was really exited and this happened. : (
Hahaha, mate these are OLD cars...... so that sort of "field expidient repair" thing is about to become your new SOP. :) Hey Hey to be jingoistic about it, at least it doesnt use LUCAS electronics! :)

ZING! Hey, I LOVED working on Cosworth twins, truly. And I got good with tuning braces of Solex's. I may covet an older Elan in fact. But LUCAS........ LUCAS IS THE DEVIL!!!! incarnated to mess with sport car fans the world over.

You have LUCKILY sir found TC, the "field expedient masters" of all thigns Chevelle . LOTS of years of collective ownership here. They helped me build a car in fact. I know nothing.

·
Premium Member
4,873 Posts
So that looks like it's leaking somewhere between the middle pair of exhaust ports and the intake runner behind the center two cylinders (sorry, not sure which number cylinder.) Your first picture looks to be under the exhaust manifold, manifold is blurry in the pic. That could very well be a head gasket leak, as already mentioned.
Very cool car, never seen a right drive, 6 cylinder car. Over here, the firewalls are not body color but painted black. Curious whether you have a heater, and if so where is it. And BTW, thanks for saying the other side and not the "right" side. Although as you get to know us, we would appreciate the humor. Welcome to TC.

·
Premium Member
16,373 Posts
Zeke, Canadian Chevelles have body color firewalls.

·
Premium Member
16,373 Posts
A likely culprit indeed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts