Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to put coolant into my new motor. I also have a new aluminum radiator. I was going to remove and clean out the heater core also(I have been reading some old posts for help). Here is the question.

I want to run Dexcool. Will this be a problem? I have aluminum heads, intake, and radiator. But the heater core is the the regular old style unit.

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Dave, This subject was discussed at some great length by BillK, myself and some others. I think that in your case, it would be ok to run Dexcool. If you are going to the troble of removing your heater core to clean it, you might as well replace it. As was discussed, Dexcool is designed to be used in cooling systems with a lot of aluminium components,as you are going to have in you'rs. Hope this helps.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
Those who do the world's real work don't usually wear ties.

·
Super Moderator
12,782 Posts
Dave,
The latest issue of Automotive Rebuilder ( a "trade" only magazine) had an interesting article about coolants. One of the many points it brought up is that the extended life coolants such as Dexcool do not realy do a great job protecting the older copper and brass type radiators and heater cores. Apparently the biggeest problem is with the solder. The article recommended that if you are using Extended Life Coolants in an older system, that it be checked very often and replaced at the slightest indication of any corosion. Now I am not claiming to be an expert on this subject, but I do know that the good old "green stuff" has been protecting my cars since I started driving in 1966 and I have never had a single cooling system problem. I will also tell you I am not always the best at routine maintenance as far as coolant goes...the Prestone in my 73 Z-28 has been in there at least 4 years and still tests good and looks like new. My new Tahoe has the Dexcool in it, but I am seriously thinking of changing back to the "old" stuff the first time I change it, you can at least bet I will keep a very good eye on it.
Just my opinion, I think the jury is still out on the stuff.

P.S. The article also recommended using nothing but distilled water, this was another subject covered in a past post that I still don't have a good reliable answer to.
Merry Xmas,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 12-24-1999).]

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to Texaco "Provides effective, long term corrosion protection for aluminum, brass, cast iron, steel, solder and copper" That is strait from their web site. The corrosion tests are comparable to conventional coolant. I would still like to see tests by an independant lab though. But so far the stuff looks ok.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just my 2 cents...I work for a gm dealer and am not sold on this stuff yet as far its longevity. We have seen a few problems with clogged heater cores on the sport utility trucks because of dexcool. Also, it leaves a murky filmy residue buildup in the overflow tanks as well as at the radiator neck.

I personally would not switch to the stuff yet, it hasn't been out long enough yet to determine if there are any long range effects.

[This message has been edited by DAVID IN GA (edited 12-25-1999).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.