Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always used just standard coolant, distilled water, and some Red Line water wetter. However

recently I heard a few things that made me wonder if this is the best setup. I heard mention is a post on this page about solvents used in coolant that can be corosive. Also, I heard that Dexcool and the like work well, but only in a clean system. They say if you have some residual old style coolant in the system and you add the Dexcool it wont work properly.

Well I have a new motor and aluminum radiator. Should I use Dexcool (or coolants like it) Or should I stick with the good old corosive Prestone.

PS ** and no arguments about using distilled water please **

------------------
David Nafarrete
Team Chevelle Gold
1965 406 6speed
(almost on the road again)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
David, I'm no chemist, but in my vintage L88 I'll be using the Prestone 50/100. It seems to have some of the advantages of Dexcool, like being kind to my 30 year old alum heads and intake, without any of the "contraindications" such as non-compatibility with standard coolant and Modine solder. It seems like a good compromise. But you don't have the Modine solder in your radiator ( it's aluminum ) and if you don't run your heater core ( undoubtedly Modine solder), I would seriously consider the Dexcool. Otherwise in sunny CA you might be able to do just the water/water Wetter mix sans the coolant. As I've learned here, the word coolant is quite a misnomer.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 08-09-99).]

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I totally forgot about the heater. There is more than likely some left regular prestone in there. Plus you say the dexcool kind is not compatible with the material my heater core is made from? Hmmm. Well I would like to keep the heater. I live close to the beach and my windows get fogged up from time to time.

Maybe I can flush it out as best I can, then will it be ok? Or do they make aluminum heater cores?

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.