Team Chevelle banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
25,548 Posts
I was a Senior at Medford High School, Medford, Or. I'm glad I had a congenital perforated ear drum, draft classification 4-F. I remember feeling bad about not going, but less so when I saw the guys coming back all shot up. 40 years later I still think that, wonder what it was like, if I'd have survived.

· Premium Member
4,090 Posts
Brings back a couple memories..........

· Premium Member
3,494 Posts
I'm a Vietnam Verteran, so I can say this.

The photos are awesome indeed. It's the way we fought the war, using massive responses to swat a fly. For all we know, the sniper escaped to fight another day.

I remember watching the Thunder Chiefs flying over every morning, day after day. Massive firepower. Thousands of tons of ordinance dropped every day.

And what did it get us. We left with our tails between our legs.

Sorry. The only thing glorious about the entire Vietnam War was the millions of young men who were called upon to engage in such a futile exercise while sorry pieces of **** like Robert McNamara and Lyndon Johnson touted body counts and victories.

We never lost a battle, but lost the war.

Sorry for the hijack, from one who was there, there was nothing glorious about Vietnam. Especially for those of us who were drafted and forced to go and fight, and die, for such a futile effort.

· Premium Member
4,090 Posts
I'm a Vietnam Verteran, so I can say this.

The photos are awesome indeed. It's the way we fought the war, using massive responses to swat a fly. For all we know, the sniper escaped to fight another day.

I remember watching the Thunder Chiefs taking off every morning, day after day. Massive firepower. Thousands of tons of ordinance dropped every day.

And what did it get us. We left with our tails between our legs.

Sorry. The only thing glorious about the entire Vietnam War was the millions of young men who were called upon to engage in such a futile exercise while sorry pieces of **** like Robert McNamara and Lyndon Johnson touted body counts and victories.

We never lost a battle, but lost the war.

Sorry for the hijack, from one who was there, there was nothing glorious about Vietnam. Especially for those of us who were drafted and forced to go and fight, and die, for such a futile effort.
And get spit on when we came home...........

· Premium Member
4,958 Posts
I was a Senior at Medford High School, Medford, Or. I'm glad I had a congenital perforated ear drum, draft classification 4-F. I remember feeling bad about not going, but less so when I saw the guys coming back all shot up. 40 years later I still think that, wonder what it was like, if I'd have survived.
Many wanted a 4F medical status. Especially when they saw how many were being killed daily. A friend of mine happen to have a Dr. who was a very close friend to His family. Got Him a 4F and stayed home. I wasn't so lucky, but luckily came home.

· Premium Member
3,494 Posts
And get spit on when we came home...........
I never went through any of that. The truth was, nobody really cared one way or the other.

For us that reached adult hood during the '60's, it's a miracle we even survived. My senior year in high school was one big joke, because what we had to look forward to was graduating, getting drafted, an going to 'Nam. If I hadn't got drafted, odds are I would have ended up in jail, because we just didn't care.

I was already working in my family's business when I graduated. One day you get the letter to report, and you did just that, lest they throw your butt in jail. You go through Basic, AIT, and wait for that levy for, as they said, "duty in South East Asia".

Then, as quickly as it all happened, you are back home, back to work, like it was some sort of bad dream.

I get reminded of the Vietnam War every time I look down at my legs and see the massive scars, compliments of an unseen trip wire. But nobody ever spit on me, called me a baby killer, or war monger. In all honesty, nobody really cared enough one way or the other.

· Premium Member
754 Posts
Can't really agree with the term "Cool photos" as perception changes with actually seeing the real thing and being there. As the phrase says, "Been there, done that"

Also a Viet Nam vet, April '69 to April '70. I can very well identify with the photos shown in the link. As a matter of fact, I was also at Phu Tai, RVN near Qui Nhon on the sea coast serving with the 84th Engr. Const. Battallion. Can well attest to the fact that at times that hell unleashed was the response received from sniper fire. Also at various times depending on alert status and conditions Operations (S-3 Intell) would call for 5 minutes of "Hell Fire" , also known as "Mad Minutes" when any thing and everything was released at the hill side and surrounding no-man's land around the base. M-16s, M-60s, M-79 grenade launchers, M2 50 Cal heavy machine gun and our quad-50s mounted on deuce and half trucks. The idea was to keep "Charlie" from sneaking in for satchel charge demolition or sniper fire.

I graduated May '67 and in June '67 I was part of Uncle Sam's Green Machine. Folks could not afford college and I had my draft number already so I enlisted. It would be just a matter of time before the draft caught me. Spent 14 months in Germany before going to Viet Nam. Been to The Wall in Wash. DC three times, buddies on there I can't forget and memories I wish I could. To all my fellow 'Nam vets, I was there with you and Welcome Home, Brother. Freedom isn't Free !

· Registered
10,292 Posts
As a combat medic/surgical technician, I saw all the stuff you don't want to see or remember. And I'm looking forward to the day when Jane is no longer breathing.

· Registered
926 Posts
As a combat medic/surgical technician, I saw all the stuff you don't want to see or remember. And I'm looking forward to the day when Jane is no longer breathing.

Amen to that!

Fortunately I was born one generation too young to have been in the war. But I know what that [email protected] did and will never forget it, and I've made sure my KIDS know too.
Disgusting, and honestly I'm surprised she's still above ground.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.