Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the last few weeks have been cold in fla...the mercury has plummetted to the 60's and humidity is down around 40%....the usual is 80-95 and 95+% humidity...
any way i know that cooler air helps charge density and as such more output but i swear its like i have another engine in this beast... now i have been tinkering wioth the carb a bit ...(seconday float level was LOW)...but is it possible that a 20-25* temp decrease in ambient air can make a noticeable difference??

wheni used to get on it she used to chirp pretty good going into 2nd...now the tires are breaking loose and she will fishtail if i dont get off it...i havent preesed it to see what would happen if i stayed in it but it feels like she would just run up in r's and burn the tires silly...never beahved that way before...do you guys with high hp vs hi torque setups evxperience this routinely??

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]
www.chevelles.com/showroom/70_SS_454.jpg

·
Registered
35 Posts
I really,really think it does. I kinda made my own cold air induction and I noticed pretty much the same thing you did! I am a believer.

------------------
71 malibu 350/350

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well the figures on cold air induction are something like for every 4*'s dropped hp goes up by 1 or something to that effect. I will tell you that my daily driver(88 sentra stick) dosen't do worth a pitcher in real hot wet air, but come this time of year with temps around 20... my oh my she charges like a bull.

------------------
Francis Taracido Gold# 201 :)
[email protected]
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
Oh No! You Know She's Got To Go!
Go Go Quadzilla! <oo=+=oo>
http://members.aol.com/sniper0666/page/index.html

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
That cold air makes more horsepower but also think about this. The cold air means that the road is cooler so are the tires, less traction? Maybe.

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

[This message has been edited by plain 69 (edited 12-27-1999).]

·
Registered
702 Posts
What you experience is ALMOST the same as nitrous. You got a blast of cold air and it makes for better combustion. Low temps mean thinner the air. Plus your at sea level and air is usually much better. And with low humidity, even better.
In Palmdale, Ca. we are lucky to see 3500 ft.
Usually the air is at 4 to 6k and cars run slower. Up to a full second sometime.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Rich, cooler air is more dense than warmer air. More air means that you can effectively burn more fuel which results in more HP. A good example that I can give relates to bracket racing. I may have my car dialed from 10.25 to 10.20 in the heat of the afternoon. By the evening rounds when the temp drops I will often have to lower my dial-in by as much as a tenth or more to compensate for the good air and increased power. Enjoy that cool, HP packed, sea level air...MK

------------------
hometown.aol.com/mkrauser/gmracing/gmracing.htm

70 Chevelle Fathom Blue
70 Malibu Convertible Midnight Regatta Blue

Chicago - Suburbs

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
1% more HP for every 10 degree temp drop in the incoming air. I love taking the lil Rat out on cool, damp nights. Rip city!!!

And you thought Buffalo was hell Rich!

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 12-27-1999).]

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im not talking aobut a few hp...i mean that this thing almost feels like theres a rat under the hood!!!!

remember ive bben commplaining about this mild 454 for months now so for me to be impressed there has to be a big difference!

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hey Rich, there's a firm out of Hamilton Ontario, CA that makes Ram Air type snorkels. I saw one on a "elle at a cruise event and thought the owner "done up" an original Buick or something. Looked real nice. Maybe a nice addition to the ride, eh?

Of course, I could ship down some cool Buffalo air which I'm sure your torquey rat WOULD LOVE!

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 12-27-1999).]

·
Gold Founding Member
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gene....boy now i finally understand why anyone would live up north... I grew up in maryland, did my residency at yale in ct and couldnt wait to get out...but i sure wish i could package up that cold air for when i go cruisin...no wonder you guys get some real power from your rats...(not that a "real" 454 wouldnt help)

any way im gonna enjoy this while it lasts...my tires are crying but i'm smilin' all the way!!

------------------
Rich
Cocoa Beach, Fla
Team Chevelle #380
[email protected]

·
Registered
70 Posts
Boy i wish I had your problems.I dream of my 327 fishtailing in 2 gear!60 deg.,boy thats cold,I wonder how your buckeneers would play up here in wisconsin when it's 0 deg.! just having fun!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Plain69 is right, the cooler the air the more horsepower but also the cooler the race surface. Nothing like having more horsepower with less traction.

------------------
Mike Hurta
(Aug98)
Gold#25
Clute, Texas
www.chevelles.com/feature/aug98.html

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Rich, well the downside is that it's snowy and 20. No rippin' rats up here;(

My real "northern" problem is that all the real hot stuff on the street is runnin' 500 ci plus and the only way to compete is to re-gear my car and build the 427 back to L88 specs to get my 550+ at 6800 or higher. That's a SCREAMING RAT MAN.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hey Gene, next time I come through the buffalo area, I'm going to say a little paryer for the import racing crowd up there.

PS- send some of that snow this way, I'm sick of going out side with 15* temp and a clear sky!!! To damned sharp.

------------------
Francis Taracido Gold# 201 :)
[email protected]
History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man.
Oh No! You Know She's Got To Go!
Go Go Quadzilla! <oo=+=oo>
http://members.aol.com/sniper0666/page/index.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.