Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cooked a battery last week. Bought the car not to long ago and figured it was a bad battery (65 chevelle). Well, my new battery is venting and leaking from the vent holes. It measures 12 volts when car isn't running. I check the voltage from the bat. terminal at the alternator when idling and it reads 16V. I checked the voltage from the battery when the car is running and it reads 16V. I don't see a regulator that connects to the alternator anywhere. There is a threaded ground post in the back of the alternator and nothing is connected to that. I use it for the ground when I tested the voltage. Am I overcharging my battery? Do I need a new alternator?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
If it's an external regulated alt. the regulator is on the core support, drivers side.

If it's a newer internal regulated alt. then the regulator is inside of the alt. But 16v is the problem. Either it's unregulated (i,e, missing a regulator), or an internal regulated alt. has been installed and it's regulator is bad

Need more info.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Here is a tech reference with some pictures.

http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref14.html

But if you have the voltage regulator on the drivers side core support, and it's wires are intact (fusable links) then you should have an external reg. alt.

If the regulator has been removed, and the wiring altered like in the reference, then you have an internal regulated alt.

Determine this then figure out (get it tested) if you have the wrong alt. or a bad alt.

Because 16v out of an externally regulated alt. is good, but 16v out of internally reg. alt. is bad.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
OK,
It looks like my stock externally regulated alt.

Did you find the square-shaped voltage regulator on the core support, drivers side, next to the radiator?

A new solid state Regulator is ~$15, check the wires connecting to the regulator, as that's where a 14 gauge fusable link is.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, here is the regulator? Can they be adjusted? Or should I just buy a new one? If I buy a new one are they pre-adjusted? See pic.

Regulator

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Tap the regulator with a screw driver handle and see what happens. I have done that in the past and it worked fine for years. Again they are pretty cheap so maybe you should replace it. Your dash light bulbs will start blowing one by one with the voltage that high.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, I replaced the regulator. The old one was shot. Broken and corroded. I used the old condensor on the unit, I think it still works. I am now reading around 14.6 volts at start up. I am in the 13's with headlights on. Am I okay now? Aren't I safe below 15.2?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Looks like you are good to go. I'm told it's a good idea to throw another new regulator in your trunk. Kinda like insurance.

I recently had to replace some connectors and the plug that goes into the alt. is available at Advance.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts