Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey one of my 66 chevelles had a tree fall on it. Thats the bad news the good news is the B pillars and windows are ok the roof is toast. Would it look like dodo ifI cut the roof off and massaged it to resemble a vert???? It looks like the back panel behind the window is different and Id have to clean up at the windshield also figure out a boot to hide the body work. Any Suggestions???? Keep in mind this is a 283 2 spd glide no option except PS Vinyl top car and I dont think I want to reroof it since I already have a 66 SS thats nice. I dotn really eant to hear how horrible I am for cutting up a classic and all that Im just wondering if its doable and wont look bad. If it is doable anyone have a convertable top frame manual or poweror any related pieces?????? Thanks for your input and help. Andy:hurray:

·
Registered
816 Posts
Here is the stuff off the top of my head thats different, and you would need. This is from a 71, I assume a 66 would be about the same.

extra chrome trim around the rear (not repo'd)
extra chrome trim on the a pillars (not repo'd)
different rear seat (not repo'd)
diffent a pillar covers (not repo'd)
convertible top frame (not repo'd)
convertible top
Different quarter panels
different wheel houses
top header bow
different rear arm rests
boxed rear arms
boxed frame
2 extra body bushings
extra header covers (not repo'd)
different rear view mirror and mount (not repo'd)
different dash (Hole for electric top)
electric top switch
electric top wiring harness
convertible top pump
convertible top rams

I bet there is more, but thats all I can think of right now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Blue thats what I was looking to do but didnt want to make it looked hacked up. Any pics of the rear part where the top folds into. Anyone have any ideas or no of someone who did this succesfully? Would the body need more bracing besides boxing the frame?

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
Here is the stuff off the top of my head thats different, and you would need. This is from a 71, I assume a 66 would be about the same.
Different for '66
extra chrome trim around the rear (not repo'd) The pinchweld trim IS repro'd
extra chrome trim on the a pillars (not repo'd)
different rear seat (not repo'd) Other 66-67 A-bodies (and maybe 64-72) might workdiffent a pillar covers (not repo'd) NO pillar covers on a '66, just painted metal
convertible top frame (not repo'd) Not needed for a "roadster"
convertible top
Different quarter panels Same quarters, except the very top (pillar)
different wheel houses Only matters IF you try to fit the folding frame
top header bow
different rear arm rests Available repro (inner steel panels AND upholsteryboxed rear arms NO, same arms as hardtops
boxed frame You can box yours
2 extra body bushings Not sure on '66
extra header covers (not repo'd) Windshield caps and header are repro'd
different rear view mirror and mount (not repo'd) Mirror is the same, mount is differentdifferent dash (Hole for electric top) NO, SAME dash on '66
electric top switch Power Tops only on about 1/2 of the '66 convertibles
electric top wiring harness
convertible top pump
convertible top rams

I bet there is more, but thats all I can think of right now.
The only difference in the "crossmembers, is the Transmission mount/cross-member is shorter to fit between the boxed frame (same as the El Camino)...

I think this would be fairly easy and straight forward to create a "roadster"... Getting a working convertible top, forget it... Too much work.

The trunk lid is the same, just the panel around the top (between trunk and top) is different from a hardtop, but you might be able to find a donor piece (66-67 GM A body convertible)...

Windshield and doors are the same.

I drove my convertible without ANY top frame for almost 10 years... Fair weather only, but with the boot installed, no one ever knew I didn't have a top...

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's not all that hard to convert a coupe to a convertible. I have done 3 Monte Carlo convertible conversions. You WILL need a convertible parts car. It you do not have a parts car, forget the dream. To many little parts that will cost a fortune or take lots of time to find.

The process is not very difficult at all particularly since convertible quarter panel sheetmetal is available for Chevelles. I did not have that luxury on the Monte's and had to splice the tops of the original Monte quarters to make a Monte Carlo convertible. The conversion can easily be done in 1 week with the parts car and needed parts sitting there. The actual rear inner structure conversion to convertible can be done one (1) piece!

The problem you will have will be the value of the car. With a coupe VIN it will always be a conversion car and most people will shy away from the car since GM made real Chevelle convertibles. In the case of Monte Carlo's, the opposite is true. Since there were no convertibles made for sale, a converted Monte Carlo convertible will bring MUCH more money than a comparable coupe. I sold a very nice one almost 2 years ago for $27,500!

·
Premium Member
1,604 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,879 Posts
To do it, and to do it and do it right are 2 different things. There are a few structural pieces of the body that are specific to convertibles. The quarter panels are reinforced, the deck filler panel and quarters are different. The mounting points for the convertible top have to be added and reinforced. The rear wheel houses are different. The A pillars and windshield are also different not to mention the reveal moldings.

·
Registered
13,007 Posts
The windshields are too different. They are shorter in a vert. Bad idea to cut the top off and make a roadster, unless you like climbing over the doors and seats to get in. I guarantee once you cut the roof off, the doors WILL NOT, I repeat WILL NOT open or close.

·
Premium Member
16,879 Posts
The windshields are too different. They are shorter in a vert. Bad idea to cut the top off and make a roadster, unless you like climbing over the doors and seats to get in. I guarantee once you cut the roof off, the doors WILL NOT, I repeat WILL NOT open or close.
Dave's right, the structural integrity of the car is going to be compromised due to the lack of the roof, lack of reinforcement in the quarters as well as the frame not being boxed.

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
BlueSS454 said:
Dave's right, the structural integrity of the car is going to be compromised due to the lack of the roof, lack of reinforcement in the quarters as well as the frame not being boxed.
Dave might be right on the "structural" part, but an El Camino frame will cure that, and it would probably be the easiest part of the coversion.

Unlike 68+ cars, 64-67 El Co frames are the same as convertibles EXCEPT a few additional inches, all of which is BEHIND the rear wheels/suspension, only affecting the rear-most body mounts ( swap out the coupe rear section for the El camino)...

For '66, the windshields are the SAME on the coupe and convertible (even though this thread is 2+ years old, the OP was talking about a '66 Chevelle)...

Hmmm... I wonder if the conversion ever got done...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts