Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Converting to a 1 wire ALT what to do with the extra wires in my 66? Like the one that used to go to the alt and the two other wires that went there.

What other things do I need to do or not need to do?

Thanks,

J

·
0 Posts
I'd stay with a 3 wire alt setup...

I've been a fan of the 1 wire setup for a while but was reading an article on an electrical website about the shortcomings of the 1 wire setup, and it takes me back to the theory of "GM did it that way for a reason.."

I need to wire mine back to a 3 wire...

Can't remember the site, MAD electrical or something.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Both 3 wire and 1 wire have pros and cons. I only run a 3 wire setup. Here is a link to the Mad site that has excellant Tech articles on both setups as well as other excellant electrical systems articles

http://www.madelectrical.com/electrical-tech.shtml

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I all ready have the one wire and I like the chromed out look on my car.

So how do I wire it in correctly. I'm sure that the 3 wire might be a better choice I just need help with what I all ready have.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
On a true one-wire alternator, the alternator connector wires and the regulator connector wires are not used. Tape and tie them back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
YOU CAN CHANGE A THREE WIRE TO A ONE WIRE AND VISE VERSA EASILY. IF YOU WANT A ONE WIRE UNIT ALL YOU HAVE TO GET IS A SELF EXSITING REGULATOR AND INSTALL IT IN THE ALT. AND IF YOU HAVE A ONE WIRE ALT. YOU CAN GET A OEM REGULATOR AND HAVE ALL OF THE VOLT SENSING BENIFITS THAT IT OFFERS.
HAPPY MOTORING!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Originally posted by shaggon wagon:
IF YOU WANT A ONE WIRE UNIT ALL YOU HAVE TO GET IS A SELF EXSITING REGULATOR AND INSTALL IT IN THE ALT.
Maybe you meant self exciting. Still a 3-wire sort of guy.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I have the one wire and I can tie off the old wires that went to the alt them run a wire to either the battery the starter post or to the horn relay and be done with it right. Then just hook up the battery as normal with the positive cable to the battery and the small wire to the horn relay. I have the convervion plug for the voltage regulator. I could later return to the 3 wire if I wanted to. Right?

·
Registered
39 Posts
HEY BUD, IVE GOT A 68 WITH A 1 WIRE SET UP. ALL I HAD TO DO IS TAKE A WIRE FROM THE EXISTING HOT LEAD THAT CAME OFF THE 3 WIRE SET UP AND START THE ROUTING DOWN BELOW THE BRAKE BOOSTER, UNDER THE DISTRIBUTOR, ALONG THE INSIDE EDGE OF THE VALVE COVER TO THE BACK OF THE ONE WIRE ALTERNATOR. THEN I DISCONNECTED THE PLUG TO THE REGULATOR AND ZIP TIED IT OUT OF THE WAY. THE 3 WIRE HARNESS IS TAPED OFF AND TUCKED NEATLY AWAY BEHIND OR JUST BELOW THE BOOSTER. ALL WORKS FINE, I LIKE THE CHROME ALT ALSO SO I THOUGHT I WOULD TRY TO HELP. I USUALLY READ BETWEEN 12.9 AND 13.7 VOLTS AT THE BATT DEPENDING ON THE CHARGE IT HAS.

·
Premium Member
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts