Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am converting my 65 chevelle SS to an internal voltage regulated alternator, going with a 12SI off 85 camaro. I did this conversion to my 69 cutlass and it went fine, but it only had a generator lamp on the dash, no amp gauge. My chevelle has the factory amp gauge. I know the number one terminal on the volt regulator inside the 12SI goes is the on off switch and gets connected to the blue, joins to brown, and goes to the ignition switch. I also know the #2 terminal is the remote voltage sense wire and it is best to take it to the junction block (horn relay on a 65) to read voltage there. I know when I disconnect the existing plug from the external regulator I will have 2 wires in the middle of the plug, a red and white I think, which most people join together. Do I need to join them? Is that what will get my amp gauge to read? I think on my 69 cutlass I just capped those 2 wires, but I can't recall for sure.
It is the amp gauge that I am wondering about. I haven't tried anything yet. I did search this site and found Wes Vanns diagram, one other diagram, and Shurkey's. Forgive my ignorance but I can't follow Shurkeys, I'm having a seniors moment I guess.

·
Registered
4,547 Posts
I know when I disconnect the existing plug from the external regulator I will have 2 wires in the middle of the plug, a red and white I think, which most people join together. Do I need to join them?
If the white is going to terminal 2 at alt, yes. If you added a wire, and wired terminal 2 to horn relay, then no. Personally, I just use the whire wire, then no "added" wire is needed.

Is that what will get my amp gauge to read? I think on my 69 cutlass I just capped those 2 wires, but I can't recall for sure.
No

It is the amp gauge that I am wondering about. I haven't tried anything yet. I did search this site and found Wes Vanns diagram, one other diagram, and Shurkey's. Forgive my ignorance but I can't follow Shurkeys, I'm having a seniors moment I guess.
Where do you have the alt output wire wired to? For the factory amp gauge to work, the wiring must be factory correct. Also (I believe) 65's also had a external shunt for the amp gauge. (which isn't shown in the pic and not used in later yrs).

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unde70ss, thanks for the info.
I just started the car for the first time after doing the conversion and everything works fine, including the amp gauge. The gauge must be run off different wires than are usually altered in the conversion process. I followed your schematic and it is bang on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts