Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks, This is my first posting on this site. Enjoy it greatly. I'm converting a 70 Malibu sweep dash set-up to a full guage ss set-up. Have all origional wiring harnesses, inside, under hood, everything bumper to bumper. All guages refurbished and checked, ready to go in. The big question-- How big of a job have I gotten myself into ? Should I gut the whole origional wiring and dash out first, or do the wiring "overlay" thing, assuming most of it matches up ? I would appreciate any suggestions on how to start without burning up the car. It's too nice to mess it up. Steve

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
For starters check this url out http://members.home.net/jimmy4/conversion.htm .
Not sure what you mean by wiring overlay thing. I would lay the new harnesses out beside the car and compare to the one in the car as to color of wires, layout, connections, mount points and wiring diagrams. Study the differences pointed out in the url above. Study the problem before you jump in. If at all possible get a friend to help. If you are not experienced with wiring it might be a bear. But never fear we are here to help you through it.
Welcome to the best site on the internet!

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Steve, Thanks for the url note. I printed that off, and studied it carefully. Seems that the big difference from sweep dash to gauges is the fuse box. Completely different, but the good news is that I have the proper one to put in when I start the conversion. Let me know if you think of any further tips on this type of job. Steve Howell

·
Registered
43 Posts
I did the exact same thing you are now doing, it all went pretty well, except the 4 wired plug for the old heater resistor was inside the car now it is outside, I guess that has to do with the donor harness being non-A/C and my car having A/C. Still everything seems to work except the heater will run without having the key on? If you have any questions feel free to ask, if I don't know I won't bs you!

------------------
Pat"The Soundkat>^..^<"Hoffman
1970 Chevelle SS (clone)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts