Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a method to convert a 1968 El Camino dash (non A/C) to A/C, with the proper holes for the ball vent and the center air outlet? I'm stumped as how to do this,if you can.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
First, you need to get a good look at a 68 AC dash and see what is involved. I am not knowledgeable on the 68, but the 71-72 models use different dashes for AC and nonAC. It is not a matter of adding the stuff, because there is nothing to hook the vents to.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I think the firewall is different, and it may be somewhat more involved. You would almost need a donor factory a/c car. Have you considered just bolting on aftermarket a/c

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
my question probably was a little misleading. what i was wondering was how to convert the 1968 dash bezel from non-A/C to A/C. My '68 Elky has A/C, but I have the chance to get a mint none A/C dash bezel for my car. My dash bezel is torn up and is beyond repair. How might you then convert that non-A/C dash bezel to work on my A/C El Camino?

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've looked at a lot of these and 69 dashes. It seems that they all came molded as non AC dashes and were cut by someone on an assembly line. I know that on the 69 dashes, there is a pattern molded into the rear of dashes without the "astro vents" to show where the holes get cut. I would assume the 68's were the same. In the assembly manuals there are instructions for the assembly workers to cut out openings for power top and defroster bezels, leading me to think that this would or could be true for the AC holes and such as well. Give it a shot!

------------------
72 SS coupe clone & 68 ragtop, 69 ragtop. www.NoNecksChevelle.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts