Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sifted through 3 pages of search topics mostly to no avail.

I am converting my factory column shift (350 auto trans) to a hurst indy-matic floor shifter, which is a linkage style. I will also be swapping in a floor shift column. I know the neutral and backup light switch is on the lower part of the column and that I will probably need this.

My question is, what parts do I need to install on my shifter (& where do I get them) to keep the functionality of these? I am guessing I will have to splice into the old switch and knowing which wires to splice into would be helpful as well.

·
Registered
846 Posts
If you can leave the stock linkage in place. The one that runs from the column to the trans, you could just stay with the factory switch. Is the floor shift column you are putting in a tilt? If yes (you may know allready) the stock harness will still work, but you will have to flip the conector over were it plugs into the ingition switch.

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The one I'm throwing in is not a tilt. Is this going to be a problem for what you recommended?

·
Registered
846 Posts
You will be fine either way. I am just suggesting if you can make the original linkage work to operate the column then you wont have any wireing to do,

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh gotcha!! Thanks for the help. I understand now.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Here is a link to a paper on the GM A-car transmission/steering column interlock systems. I think that it is pretty accurate for the various types of transmissions as well as column versus floor shifts.

http://www.corvettefaq.com/acar/StrgColumnTransInterlockSystems.doc

With the automatic transmission, there is a linkage system that should be independent from the floor shifter. I think the real question is the following: Does the floor shift steering column have a cutout down on the column jacket (on top, near the floor) for the neutral start/backup light switch? If it does, then I would think that installing the switch from your original steering column on the new one and using the original backdrive linkage should work.

With a manual transmission, it appears that the back drive rod comes off of the reverse gear lever on the transmission. So I would think that the type of shifter shouldn't affect the backdrive linkage either.

Let me know if you find any inaccuracies in the paper or if things aren't clear.

Hope that it helps,
Jim

·
Premium Member
6,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is very helpful, Jim. Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts