Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting a GM 502 Crate motor on my '68.
It has a powerglide transmition right now and I was going to put in a TH400. Some guys posting on this page mentioned that it would be better and funner to go with a manual transmition.
Do you guys know how hard it would be to switch from an auto to manual transmition, and which auto would you recommend for this motor (500+ Hp 570 ft-lbs?). Also how expensive would that transformation be?
I appreciate your thoughts and input on this subject.
Thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've always been a four-on-the-floor guy but for your setup it would be cheaper to go automatic. To go manual, you need:
transmission (probably DN/Richmond 5-speed)
high performance clutch and pressure plate
steel flywheel
scattershield
shifter
clutch linkage and pedal setup

The above costs $$$! Probably several thousand dollars. Go automatic and save your money for something else.

------------------

·
Registered
64 Posts
In addition to what Hodge has said, the 502 crate motors have the boss for the clutch bellcrank pivot ball, but it needs to be drilled and tapped to accept the pivot ball.

You will also need a shifter hump and will have to cut the transmission tunnel. If you have a console, you will need to get a standard transmission console.

At the risk of starting a war
, you should choose the type of transmission based on what you want to do with the car. If you are going to drag race, an automatic would be better. Manuals have a certain cool factor that many find desirable. If you are just going cruising, a manual can be a pain in the left leg when doing a lot of stop and go driving.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.