Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a body for my Elky in AZ but it is a non-A/C car and since I'm switching bodies with my Elky due to the rust, I need the new body to match up with the old one which means having factory A/C. I know that Vintage Air makes ones that fit but to be correct it has to have factory A/C. Has anyone ever switched over to factory A/C from a factory non-A/C car? If so, please let me know.... thanks.

------------------
1970 Chevy El Camino aka Kaileigh
Green Mist #45 & Silver w/Green Vinyl Top
350ci/300HP 4bbl Small Block
Factory Dual Exhaust and Rally Wheels
My El Camino Home Page - www.dreamelectric.com
I hate rust!!!!!!

·
Registered
403 Posts
Shawn
the fire wall is different. The hole is positioned differently and vertical instead of horizontal. YOu can patch the part of the whole you don't need and cut a new hole in the proper position. Make a templet and cut accurately.
OR, you could have the firewall switched but this would be a big job.
the vin # is stamped up where the fan motor housing mounts to the firewall. Don't know if that is important to you or not.
Good luck.

------------------
Mr. D
72 454 El Camino
68 RS/SS Camaro
73 RS/LT/Z28 Camaro
99 Firebird TA WS-6 A4

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a VIN number back there? Is it the whole thing or just the last 6 numbers of the VIN? I was thinking of switching firewalls because I have to switch bodies (rust bucket needs a new body) but I didn't know if that would work. Thanks.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Ya the vin is stamped there and several other places on the body. I know there is one under the drivers side on the bottom of the floor pan near the frame as well.

Personally I would not worry about it. YOu have to remove the air box to see it (I think). Someone else may know more about vin # locations than I.
I'll look at mine again today and post more later.

I know a guy that can replace any panel and make it look like it was never replaced so I am sure you could find someone to do it.

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
I did this a few years back. As stated above firewalls are different. I solved the problem by cutting out the A/C donor car firewall behind the Evaporator box. After removing the donor car firewall I carefully cut the "patch plate" to exactly match the contor of the Evaporator box.

Non A/C and A/C equipped cars use a few common locating points on the engine side for the evaporator box (on A/C cars) and the heater core cover ( on non-A/C cars) . You can use these common mounting points to locate the Evaporator core engine side box and patch pannel onto the engine side of the firewall in the correct Norht /South & East / West location.

Now all you have to do is cut the "keeper car" firewall slightly to allow the holes in the donor car firewall to be open to the pass. compartment as required for air flow off the evaporator. Weld in the patch panel and you are home free.

Inside the pass compartment all the mounting points for the internal boxes , ducts etc. etc. etc. are the same. In effect the pass compartment side "box" is held in by the some of same screws and bolts that hold the evaporator core box to the engine side of the firewall.

Since you are swapping bodies around you could easily remove the entire donor car firewall and load it into the keeper car. I did alll the above without the luxury of having the body and fenders off the frame.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks oman that helps A LOT. I probably would just cut out the area around the evaporator box so I don't make any extra work for myself. The only other differences that I'm aware of are that the driver's side kick panel vent has to be plugged and some vacuum actuators have to be switched and moved around. I know that there is some wiring differences too. I'm also wondering about the vacuum hoses that go through the firewall into the cowl and the hoses that go to the vacuum source and water valve. Are these holes there on non-A/C firewalls?? The body I'm getting is a rolling chassis without a front clip so this shouldn't be too hard. Thanks again and keep the tips coming.

[This message has been edited by Shawn (edited 11-26-99).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.