Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went to have an estimate on having a few small tears patched on my convertible. No one will patch it! They want to replace it and charge me $1300 dollars. How much is a fair price for installing a top with a glass window. I can get a top with glass window, well liner , and pads for $240 from OPG.Has anyone ever patched any tears? The only thing it really needs is new rubber and patching.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Blaster, I don't think you will have much success patching that top or finding anyone to do it for that matter. Aside from the tears, is the stitching dry rotted? Looking at the car from the side does the top maintain a straight line above the side windows? Or does it appear to bow up above the side windows? As a top gets older it tends to shrink across the middle and pulls towards the center. I guess my point is if the top is old enough that it is starting to tear it won't be long before these other symptoms start showing up. $1300 doesn't sound way out of line but I would shop around just like anything else. If I remember correctly I paid around 1800 6 or 7 years ago but that was a fabric top with a glass back window, new cables, pads, well liner, all new weatherstripping installed(which I furnished) and he spray painted the frame while he had it apart. Check around and inquire about the Stayfast fabric top you won't regret spending the extra coin. My.02
Good Luck! The guy I used is in Ormond if you run into a dead end over in O-town, drop me a line and I will hook you up with him.

------------------
TC #364
Aces #4309
Jeff's 69

1 - 2 of 2 Posts