Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '65 Chevelle with a black convertible top. The top is in good condition, with no holes or rips, but has a dull look to it. Any suggestions on how to brighten it up without damaging it? I thought about using vinyl cleaner or Armor All, but have concerns about messing up the vinyl. I have the original GM folding top manual which recommends washing with a soft cloth and mild soap. That didn't produce the results I was hoping for.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Just had a new top installed. The installer said under NO circumstances EVER use Armor All on it. It will attract dirt and be grungy lookin from then on. He recommends Fantastik and a cotton towel only. Mine's white by the way. I know the Vette houses sell some top dressings, but I've never used any. Mine has a black top and I just use the soap and water and towel trick on it too.

------------------
Dave Bradley
www.corvetteforum.net/classics/d1_bradley
'69 SS396 ragtop
'33 3W Coupe
'65 Vette BB Roadster

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'll just wash it with car wash, just like the rest of the car. During the summer, the top is down almost all of the time anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
I have always used a mild soap and a brissle brush. I would see what the new car Mfg are recommmendng or a detail shop. There are a lot of new products out there.

·
wagons rule!
3,247 Posts
I found this. http://www.303products.com/kit1.htm
i have used it and like it alot. do a search on there site for a distributer near you or i guess you could order it directly
http://www.303products.com/home.htm

------------------
I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
www.EINSTYN.com updated 8-6-02 TC#1460, VCEA#2
. . _________ . . . . . .. _________
.../___---___\ . . ____/|__|__\___\
(OO[=====]OO) {_______________|
.{}.............{}....(O).............(O)...
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
I wouldnt' necessarily disagree with armour All attracting dirt but Armour all absolutely will not damage vinyl. Most any type of vinyl dressing can potentially come out spotty if applied unevenly. If your top
is already dull I dont see how you could hurt it. One thing I am sure is don't use
ANY type cleaner with ammonia in it. It most
asuredly will cause cracking over time. Vinyl
care is much like leather care; it lasts longer if it is not allowed to be continuing
dry.

------------------
best regards
Importtech

·
wagons rule!
3,247 Posts
my top is new too. it even sayes in the paperwork that came with the top that it was ok to use 303 products. i like the UV protectant.

------------------
I couldn't repair my brakes, so I made my horn louder.
www.EINSTYN.com updated 8-6-02 TC#1460, VCEA#2
. . _________ . . . . . .. _________
.../___---___\ . . ____/|__|__\___\
(OO[=====]OO) {_______________|
.{}.............{}....(O).............(O)...
1970 Chevelle 454 Wagons

·
Registered
191 Posts
I use 303 on my vinyl kayak, and will one day on my convertible (when it is done). It protects from UV well. You can order it through a local True Value hardware store with no shipping changes. I had to assure my store that they could order it, as they had never seen it before.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts