Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can any one tell me what type of fluid to use on my 69SS convertible and how to install it?

·
Registered
12,972 Posts
Someone tell him, I need to know also.

------------------

·
Premium Member
6,957 Posts
I used hydraulic oil purchased at the auto supply. Others have used transmission fluid. I believe the shop manual calls for brake fluid. I had the motor off of mine and was able to fill the reservoir with a small funnel. Then after everything was installed, attach a small hose to the reservoir and the fluid bottle. Run the top up and down and it will siphon out of the bottle and bleed the system.

·
Super Moderator
1,816 Posts
In my 69 SS Convert I used Dexron II Trans Fluid and it works fine. As Alan said fill the tank with fluid then put a tight hose into the opening and it will suck the fluid it needs out of a quart bottle when you run the top up and down a dozen times. The 1972 Fisher Body manual calls for the use of Dexron II trans fluid that's why I used it.

If you want to see photos of my car: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/8887/

[This message has been edited by Bob Tiley (edited 04-19-99).]

·
Administrator
3,375 Posts
Are you installing a new setup or topping one up?
If just topping up, it was probably clear brake fluid and I wouldn't mix it with auto trans fluid.

I installed new lines and pump, so went with the dexron for the reason that brake fluid eats paint and I didn't want to mess with it.

I used the method Alan mentioned to top it up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry If I sound stupid but
I am still not sure how to bleed the air out of the hoses

I take a dot 3 bottle I put a rubber line in it and I put it in the little hole on the pump
Then you take top up and down?

I tried and its not working, I still have air

Maybe I am doing this wrong do I have to take the motor and hold it horizontally

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok I got it!

Yesterday I successfully bleed my system
I brought the top up then with a screw driver I pushed the rubber plug to let the air out then the same while the top was down
(About 20 times)

I is now ok

The pump sound changed since, I wonder if I put to mush oil in it and it forcing

But it works great (better than before anyway)

·
Super Moderator
1,816 Posts
The air in the lines is bled out by simply raising and lowering the top assembly (with the fill plug out). The method is to put a hose in a container of fluid then it must form an air tight seal to the resovoir. the vacuum will suck the needed fluid into the pump and keep it full while you are bleeding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.