Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the upper and lower convertible rear armrest panels from OPG. Are they worth the cost? I know they are steel panels but I think they are a little high in priced. I just pulled the original ones out to replace the covers. Is this something I can do my self? It doesn't look that difficult.

------------------
67 Malibu Convertible
Bonner Springs, KS
A.C.E.S # 4806
N.C.O.A # 5322
67 Malibu Convertible

·
Registered
123 Posts
I don't know about the OPG panels. You can't always tell from a photograph. The do look pretty accurate.
I will be using the covers when my interior kit goes in. They seemed fine when laid them over my panels for a test fit. It looks like a pretty easy install with some spray adhesive. I'm not quite at the stage for the upholstery to go on yet so if you get yours on before me then let me know how it went.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The pre-assembled panels will show their worth when you try to assemble them yourself. Though it's not a difficult job, it takes some patience, planning, and the ability to stretch well, and more patience.

More money up front, far quicker install.
Less money up front, far longer install and potential for a problem.

How much is your time worth?

------------------
-Andrew
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Untamo, Do you know if the ones from OPG are pre-assembled or not? I'm thinking of staying with the originals and just cleaning up the metal. Any recommendations on cleaning, painting the metal pieces and spray adhesives.

------------------
67 Malibu Convertible
Bonner Springs, KS
A.C.E.S # 4806
N.C.O.A # 5322
67 Malibu Convertible

·
Registered
543 Posts
for metal prep I was very happy with the "marine clean" and the "metal ready" chemicals I got with the POR-15 kit. The metal ready etches the metal and leaves a zinc finish for the paint. You can use spray paint(rustoleum) or POR. I also has real good results with pro-color laquer but you have to use several coats.
You can get 3M trim adhesive at NAPA.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts