Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Better 60ft, and 1/8 ET, Everything else fell off.

One thing, I had 10% Ethanol 93 octane and I have been running 100% gasoline. Couldn't find a station selling 100% on my way to the track.
Don't know if that was a factor or not.

7000 rpms at the stripe vs 65-6600.

Can't I have the best of both worlds, high stall launch and downtrack effecient?

It just doesn't want to run a 9 :noway:

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Try to index the needle and seats and see if that dont knock it down, Pro Stock cars it will make .05 difference, some bracket cars in high 10's and slower it can be as much as .1

·
Premium Member
3,222 Posts
Brian,

If I remember correctly, your engine's peak power is around 6500 RPM?? If that is the case a converter that goes 6100 on the trans-brake is too loose. Your getting too much slippage up top, which is killing your 1/4 - ET/MPH.

What gear and tire are you running?

I would assume your TQ peak is around 5000-5300??? If that is the case I would have the converter stall about 300 RPM above that or around 5300-5600 RPM.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Ah, you are getting down to my mph!
Converter science is a guessing game at best. Even the manufacturers guess, but they won't say that.
Ask any stock or SS racer how many converters they have tried! 6 or more would be the norm, if they are serious.
Don't fret. Sounds like something in between where you were and where you are will be right....till the bottle comes out!
And yeah, E10 sucks! Even jetted right, we lose hp over normal fuel. Which is gone here in Oregon.
Time for a barrel of the good stuff!

Ron

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Holy Shyte.....all I see is the track disappear and know the car dead hooked and I better shift. Carries the wheels way out, set's em down nice and I somehow go right to third. Then back to second and back to third. Scared the crap out of me!
I am quoting this from Ron's post because I did the exact same thing on my first pass, LOL. After that, it was both hands on the steering wheel and nowhere near the shifter. :clonk:

If anything I broke into the 1.3 60ft's :thumbsup:

I would like to drain the E10 and go get some gas from the same station that I have the last few outings. I couldn't believe I could not find any real gas.:mad: 3 outings and 2 different tracks netted 10.0x's from last fall to this spring, all at 133-134 mph. I think the converter is just too loose. If it goes to 6100 on the brake it is probably flashing even higher. I was footbraking it with about a 2000 rpm launch rpm. At the stripe I am running 3mph less and 500 rpm's more. What it did tell me is the car will take the power off the line. And wow did it ever feel different off the line. I can't imagine low 1.3's or high 1.2's!!

I have to take out the sbc drag springs, and put my Moog 6cyl springs back in.
It has gotten too low. These still give me pretty good travel. The car is real close to the bump stops now and the 6cyl springs seemed to work pretty well.
I could try some BBC moroso's, but I think the moogs will do the job.
Mostly I should get some better shocks, but they are not in the budget right now. And niether is calling ATI and ordering a converter :sad: I think this is what it would really need to wake it up. IMO I need something in between the 2 converters, or just be happy with the edge.
The edge just mph's so well, it seems like the ET should be there.

What about the edge and more gear?
I am just thinking here, I have some 4.56's I could try. Lot's of wrenching, trial and errors, but I am doing it without a bunch of cash outlay. If I wasn't so close to that 9.xx pass I would just leave it alone and go racing. But I guess I am :boxing: for a 9.

·
Registered
589 Posts
If anything the ethanol should help you, but it will lean you out. You need to jet up for it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Blue keep going every one needs a 9 sec slip. I would try the gas at first and see what that does for you. I am in the same boat as you I just installed a new PTC 8'' converter waitng to try it out. And the pump gas thing also all the stations are coming up with this 10% crap fuel it is going to force me into buying race gas not happy with that.:(

G

·

Better 60ft, and 1/8 ET, Everything else fell off.

One thing, I had 10% Ethanol 93 octane and I have been running 100% gasoline. Couldn't find a station selling 100% on my way to the track.
Don't know if that was a factor or not.

7000 rpms at the stripe vs 65-6600.

Can't I have the best of both worlds, high stall launch and downtrack effecient?

It just doesn't want to run a 9 :noway:
I can see this is driving you crazy, actually Ive been there myself before, this is what I would do, rig up a way to heat your oil to 210 degrees prior to your pass, water temp 150, run VPC44 gas, here comes the nines!

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why not just throw in a couple gallons of 110 from the track? Dont know if thats enough to fix the E10 crap.
I have definately thought about trying some "good" fuel. But It's the principle and I want to do it on pump gas.;)

I think I just need a correct spec'd ATI converter.
Or a couple more hp, or some shocks, and get the 60 ft down with the other converter.

Hell, for what a converter costs, I could buy a spray kit and go a lot faster.
But like said before.....It has the potential, I just have to get it there.

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
I recently heard that there is an internal modification you can do to a converter that will give extra stall speed and still lock up tighter on the big end. A guy that my son races with said it gives the E.T. of a very loose converter and yet maintains the extra mph that a tight converter has. I saw a 9" Chance converter that stalled at 5200 and still locked up real well. P.S..... The converter is really hard to get right and converter technology keeps on advancing. There is a wall at the 10.0 E.T. level that is real hard to go over. You had enough mph and just need a couple of small things to go 9.9x. You might try oxygenated fuel and a little more timing, i think i'd go back to your other converter. I'd rather look for more power than abuse the engine with excess rpm. P.S..... The converter is too loose if it stalls at or near 6000 behind your engine. P.S. #2....... Todd said the VP-113, (which is oxygenated), gives a little more power but i think you have to jet up a few sizes for it to be useful and it may require more compression than your engine has. I wonder if they have the same thing for pump gas compressions?

·
Premium Member
13,692 Posts
I have definately thought about trying some "good" fuel. But It's the principle and I want to do it on pump gas.;)

I think I just need a correct spec'd ATI converter.
Or a couple more hp, or some shocks, and get the 60 ft down with the other converter.

Hell, for what a converter costs, I could buy a spray kit and go a lot faster.
But like said before.....It has the potential, I just have to get it there.
I'd just start racing it as is, then worry about the 9 sec. slip in the fall. You might hurt yourself or your pocket book trying to do it with summer coming on. ;)

·
Registered
3,544 Posts

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
I would put your old converter back in and your 6 cylinder coil back in. Are you running radial slicks? There might be your .05 you are looking for.

Dave

·
Registered
6,264 Posts
maybe this?

http://www.vpracingfuels.com/vp_01_fuels.html#unleaded

Contact Jason Reuckert for a recommendation.
I just looked over the VP Racing fuels website and now i'm totally confused about which fuel would be best for any particular application. Fifteen pages of different kinds of gas and alcohol to chose from. That contact guy could be the most important guy in racing. Better times through chemistry.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts